Two stroke oil is two stroke oil is two stroke oil?

imported_Paul_H

Seaman Apprentice
I have a case of snowmobile two stroke oil that I'd like to use in a Suzuki 40 hp, is the oil compatible or not? If not, what is special about ob two stroke oil?<br /><br />TIA

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: Two stroke oil is two stroke oil is two stroke oil?

Oil for outboards is designed to burn more completely at low operating temps. My outboard has only a 130 degree thermostat. Some are even lower. <br /><br />Outboard oil, TC-W3, stands for Two Cycle-Watercooled 3.<br />The 3 being the most recent version or formula of TC-W3.<br /><br />Oil for air cooled engines, weed eaters, chainsaws, probably snowmobiles, is designed to run in hotter engine environments.<br /><br />If your oil has the TC-W3 rating, then it is ok to use it.

Bradster941

Petty Officer 1st Class

Excellent point and information roscoe.<br />Also, there really is a diff between the Walmart oil for $6.95 a gallon vs. Merc. or Johnson oil for $17.95 gallon.<br /><br />Just look at your exhaust.<br /><br />BTW, pull a spark plug and look at it and the piston head after running the cheap stuff.<br /><br /> :rolleyes: :eek: :confused: :( :rolleyes: :mad: :eek: :eek:

chris in va

Chief Petty Officer

Brad I think in that case you're comparing synthetic with non.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Walmart's oil is packaged by pennzoil/quaker state. It meets the manufacturers specs. The manufacturer's oil may, or may not have any additional ingredients (besides color). The manufacturers do not run refineries. They buy their oil from one of the big oil companies and have it custom packaged. <br /><br />Kind of like buying your spark plug at walmart for $1.89, or from the dealer for $4.89. <br /><br />In my case, I use walmart oil, and dealer bought plugs. ????

denniz

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Personally Id like to thank Walmart for selling that cheap oil... I get quite a few rebuilds per year from customers running cheap oil. If you want your engine to last run what the manufacturer recommends.

Jack Shellac

Lieutenant Commander

I have to agree that you get what you pay for. A TCW3 rating just means that it meets the minimun specifications. I know a lot of the guys don't agree with this, but in the scheme of things, oil is a very cheap part of boating cost. I've used OMC oil in my OMC's for over 50 years and never had a oil related problem.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Say, Rod Knocking.<br /><br />What manufacturer "recommends" anything but their own brand oil???<br /><br />On the other hand, what manufacturer of a non-DFI engine requires their own brand oil in their warranty?? They require TC-W3. If it was harmful to the engine would they do that?<br /><br />I'd rather just buy the oil.. .TC-W3. . . instead of advertizing and high dealer markup.

speed29668

Seaman

Rod,<br /><br />I seriously doubt the brand of oil used contributed to any rebuild you have done. I wounder how many rebuilds have been done with motors using big name brands of oil. Welcome to another victim of marketing hype. A chemist and engineer who was a consultant for the major oil companies said that all oils meeting the requirements essentially perform the same. The manufacturers have to differentiate themselves somehow, and marketing is the way they do that.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

So Rod Knockin, do you use Dodge oil in your pick-up?<br />Or Ford oil in your Explorer?<br />Or Chevy oil in you Yukon?<br /><br />I doubt it. You use the recommended oil that meets the specs. Right?<br /><br />Well I gotta go now, I need to go get some John Deere oil for the mower, some Poulan oil for the chainsaw, and some Kia oil for the girlfriend's car.

I have ran CHEAP! bulk tc-w? oil im my motors forever unless I run out then Ill run superflow, Anyway the point is I have NEVER!!!!!!!! Blown a motor Nothing no internal damage ever. and I run them almost everyday from April till January (Duck hunter) Like someone else said where do you think OMC and Quicksilver get there oil from. They sure dont make it. I use Decarb anyway. I have fried a couple when the water impeller froze. The risk you take when its -10F.

Also if I was running a super hot 7000+ Rpm race motor I would probibly buy the most expensive synthetic I could get. But in the real world I dont think it matters

AndyL

Petty Officer 1st Class

Can anyone honestly say that Mercury , Evinrude, Yamaha or whatever make or design their own oil. They make outboards and market a lube based on current standards produced by Exxon, Shell or whoever, in a packaging that they can get a cut on. I worked for Esso for years and their lubes are superb. The hype that goes with the warranty on a specific make of outboard is surely marketing in overdrive. Mercury is not an oil manufacturer any more than Evinrude. I have always been fascinated by hearing the justification of using a specific badged oil by these engine manufacturers.

imported_Paul_H

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the input and discussion.<br /><br />As far as using the manufacturers labled lube, it seems to me to be a good way of the manufacturer to get out of warranty issues, and make a couple extra bucks from those that only use their lube.<br /><br />I'd venture to say that the engine makers lube may even be made by different manufacturers year to year, depending on who they contract with, and who offers them the best price.<br /><br />I still haven't had a chance to check the lube rating yet. I hadn't considered the issue of the o/b engines running cooler, certainly an issue up here as our waters vary from cold to colder ;) Can't see any justification to use an inapropriate lube either, so I'll be getting a true o/b lube. I can burn up the sno-go lube in the chainsaw.

NathanY

Commander

Anyways, to help answer the question you asked, just look on the back of the can and see if it says TCW-3 or NMMA on it, if it does, then it would be ok to use it. I sometimes run out of oil in my boat so you know what I use instead? STIHL weedeater oil, because it says TCW-3 on the back of it. Oil brand does not matter,IMHO, unless you are talking synthetic vs. conventional.

John Reynolds

Petty Officer 1st Class

I agree with JB. <br /><br />IS the TC-W3 rating so bad that the minimum to meet this rating is sorry oil? The minimum TC-W3 rating will screw up engines? Then what would the TC-W3 rating be good for then?

45_red

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Outboard brand names don't refine oil, neither do they make their own electrical parts, wires, carb.s fuel pumps,bearings, gears and in some cases even the power head and or lower unit is provided by another company. But they do set the standards for anything with their name on it.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

What JB said.
emthup.gif

madecool

Seaman Apprentice

Well I have to post a reply I like get my oil that I plan on using and keep using the same type. So I picked this type of oil That WestMarine makes. Why because it was a no brainer to me because company like WestMarine will not put there name on some cheap oil. At least that what I think. The price is not bad on this oil compared to some of the others. Anyway this oil has a little chart that show how much deposit (carbon)is left on your plug etc. and this oil leaves the least. I never pay any attention to stuff like that anyway but you all might find interesting. I Just use it because it a good price and because WestMarine has there name on it.<br />But I guess if you look around you find some cheaper type. But I just don't trust all cheaper oil.