1987 90hp Yamaha-oil injection

fishingbear5

Cadet
I have a 1987 90 hp yamaha with oil injection. I have not used the boat in about three months and i put the muffs on today to run it for a while but the oil light came on yellow instead of green. I immediately shut it down. The oil resevoir is about 3/4 full. Does anyone have any ideas on why the light came on yellow. Thank you in advance. Jim

butlp

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1987 90hp Yamaha-oil injection

I don't have my manual with me, but I think your oil tank level switch is sticking and sending a false alarm. Try putting a piece of wire through the oil fill hole and work the float up and down to free it. If that does not fix it, drain the tank and remove, clean or replace the level switch.<br />Remember to bleed the oil pump if you do drain the tank and mix your next tank of gas 50:1, making sure the oil level in the tank is dropping before you go back to straight gas.<br />Did you store the motor tilted? Its always better to store your motor tilted down in the running position!

fishingbear5

Cadet

Thank you for the information. I will try that and let you know if that fixed it. I did not store the engine in the running position but i certainly will in the future. Tight lines, Jim

fishingbear5

Cadet

Thanks Lost Canadian. I went and got a manual for my yamaha and tested all the components. Everything checked out ok so i decided to remove and drain all the oil out of the resevoir. There i found the problem, the black ground wire from the sensor was not securely attached to ground. As soon as i pulled on the ground wire, the red light and buzzer came on. Thanks very much, Jim