Portland Boat Show/Bayliner

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Went to the boat show last night. I love all the boats but always pay particular attention to the runabouts. There are enough options there to frazzle the mind. The glitz and swoops seem to predominate and it does not please me.<br /><br />The one boat, however, that really did it for me was the only 'traditional' boat on the lot. It was the Bayliner Classic 215. IMHO, the most pleasing style, tons of space and a V8. <br /><br />What's supposed to be so bad about these boats? They claim all composites and no rot. The obvious construction detail was very good. (fit and finish) The only unknown here is the ride.<br /><br />
l_bayliner215classic20061.jpg

Stratocaster

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Portland Boat Show/Bayliner

What's supposed to be so bad about these boats? They claim all composites and no rot. The obvious construction detail was very good. (fit and finish)
You answered your own question, Boomyal. There is absolutely nothing wrong with these boats! I hope you lifted hatches, inspected wiring, and looked in the places that really count.<br /><br />Keep the extra money for a higher priced brand in your pocket and use it to buy goodies for a Bayliner.

KCook

Lieutenant Commander

"Dual Console" models by saltwater builders like Seaswirl should also offer designs like this. The usual bowrider market (Crownline, Four Winns, etc) is geared more toward style and watersports.<br /><br />Kelly Cook

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Gee whiz! I thought all the Bayliner naysayers would jump on this post. In addition to all I said above, this boat can be had for $18.9k. That's alot of comparative boat for the bux.

EZLoader

Chief Petty Officer

I agree with you Boomyal...I went to the Pdx Boatshow on Thursday night. The bayliners offered a lot of runabout for the money. The rest of the boat show didn't light my fire. Too many expensive aluminum fishing boats. I miss the many choices of open fiberglass runabouts the 70s and 80s offered with lots of free deck space (great for skiing, fishing, crabbing, etc.). The Bayliner runabouts sure have broadened their beam widths. The pic below is a 20.5' that my friend and his son liked at the show for $22k.<br /><br />
baylinerweb.jpg

QC

Supreme Mariner

Hey Boomer,<br /><br />I have defended Bayliner's here too. I agree with Stratboy, it's really about the hardware and some fit issues. Same with a Maxum . . . Hinges and stuff degrade over time and if watched after and/or upgraded, the boats are great. Powerplants are all the same so that end is just as good as anybody's . . .<br /><br />BTW, we had some of the bacon today. Wow!!! Awesome stuff. Neighbors got some too and they're talking about it. Thanks again!

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by EZLoader:<br /> I miss the many choices of open fiberglass runabouts the 70s and 80s offered with lots of free deck space (great for skiing, fishing, crabbing, etc.).
EZ, precisely why I keep looking at boats that are a more modern version of my 30 y/o Gulfstream. As you can see, few boats at the show could equal this kind of versatile space. Also, many of them have side windscreens that go back so far you can't even exit the boat while at the dock.<br /><br />My boat has hosted many years of social/recreational activity that are not possible in most of the new boats of it's size.<br /><br />I also like a boat that looks like a boat instead of some design studio excercise. <br /><br />I often lament that I don't have a bow rider and I would sure like power steering and I also liked, as you mentioned, the wider beam.<br /><br />I hear ya too on the aluminum boat thing. How do they all stay in business. There were so many of them. They in no way lite my fire.<br /><br />
061560.JPG
<br /><br />QC, ida been surprised if you didn't like the bacon. Some in my family like what I call 'whimpy' bacon. Short on taste and nearly all pork rind. Mahogany Smoked bacon is not only distinctive in taste it is meaty and chewy. Yum yum. Don't forget to try some of the grease in your Rosaritas.<br /><br />Also, next time you go, take a little styrofoam ice chest and pick up some of their ground pork sausauge. They won't ship that but it is out of this world for breakfast sausage patties.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Boomyal, now that's my kind of boat. I miss my deceased 1965 Glastron.

John_S

Rear Admiral

As far as I know, Bayliner has kept a couple of the classic styled boats in their lineup, since they weren't classics. I own a '97 2050 CL and love the engine access, storage, and prefer the "old school" design.

Twidget

Commander

I was looking at the Bayliners today at the Ft. Worth boat show. I found one thing disturbing, on a 19 foot classic model, there was an 'assembled in Mexico' sticker. I know just about everything is imported, but I just cant see buying a non US made boat.

swist

Senior Chief Petty Officer

If I was was going to buy a "price" boat, I'd seriously consider a Bayliner. It the idea is to give you as much as you can get for a low price, you might as well go with someone with a huge manufacturing operation and clearly a lot of leverage over their suppliers prices. When starting with a lower materials cost and a high efficiency aeembly line, you are ahead of the game before they start even building it.<br /><br />Nor does a Bayliner owner typicically keep his boat for 20 yearts and expect it to last, like same other owners (Whaler Grady etc). The trade off of price and longevity could be pretty favorable.<br /><br />Having said that, I doubt that anyone agrees that they are top-of-the line boats, but that's not what their market is looking for.<br /><br />The other issue is of course perception which dies very very hard. Baylner boats, particularly the small ones, were not very good way back when - shedding a lemon perception takes years....