1993 Merc 115 with NO spark

renrewda1

Recruit
Decided to take the boat out today. Launched and while I was parking my son tried to start the boat. He said it started for a couple of seconds then died. When I got there it was severely flooded so we pulled it out and went home.<br /><br />Motor: 1993 Mercury 115HP 4 cyl <br /><br />Took plugs out and determined no spark in any cylinders which indicates switchbox or stator.<br /><br />Troubleshooting: <br />Deadman switch – Open when motor would normally run and closed when lanyard is pulled. Not the deadman switch.<br /><br />Switchbox Stop Circuit: Black/Yellow wire and ground - Volt meter read ~24V when should have been 200-360. Disconnected black/yellow and hooked up to stud where wire was attached and ground – Volt meter read ~22V (I think this indicates it is not in ignition/switches/wiring).<br /><br />Charge Coil Testing: Blu & Ground – VM read ~12.5V when should have been 200-310V. Red & Ground – VM read ~7V when should have been 20-100V. (not sure why this is reading low)<br /><br />Sator Testing: Blue & BL/WH wire – Resistance was an open circuit when should have been 6800-7600 ohms. Red & Red/WH wires – Resistance was ~108 ohms and should be between 90-140 ohms.<br /><br />This leads me to believe my sator is bad and needs to be replaced. <br /><br />Should I continue troubleshooting ?<br /><br />Should I get a new VM and re-do tests due to potentially bad voltmeter (worked fine last time I used it)?<br /><br />The book calls out special tools for removing flywheel – does anyone know if these are needed?<br /><br />Any help/advice/suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance – The Ren

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1993 Merc 115 with NO spark

Welcome to iboats. :) <br /><br />You need a voltmeter with a DVA scale or a separate DVA adapter for conventional multimeters. Blue circuit on the stator is dead. Those are the slow speed windings. Spark will be very weak if there's any at all. New stator time. :( <br /><br />You might run the boat in when you pick up the part. They may pop it off for you for a small fee. I usually do it fer nuthin.

renrewda1

Recruit
Re: 1993 Merc 115 with NO spark

Thanks for the welcome WillyBW - i thought the stator was the issue. I looked at the tools needed for taking off the flywheel - ouch! I will take your advice and see if they will help if i have it all apart.<br /><br />What is a VM w/DVA scale....i may be in for a new tool!<br /><br />Thanks again - The Ren