1978 115 merc

punchy

Seaman Apprentice
turn key engine starts run about 5 seconds dies like you cut the key off.The motor ran fine last time about 3 months ago.He ( my dads boat) cleaned carbs but its the same thing.I don't know if he soaked them or not.I think its a ignition/electric problem.I don't think it would burn all the gas in the bowls that quick just at idle.He put in new spark plugs ,no help.

Clams Canino

Commander
Re: 1978 115 merc

Did you test it for spark after it quit? Using fast idle lever to warm it up?<br /><br />-W

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

punchy, you've got one ot the best helping you. tell him all you can.

punchy

Seaman Apprentice

Originally posted by Clams Canino:<br /> Did you test it for spark after it quit? Using fast idle lever to warm it up?<br /><br />-W
I don't know if he checked for spark I was not there.I will try to get over there and see what going on.Right now I'm waiting on parts for my Evinrude.I will get back to you a.s.a.p.I'm sure he used the fast idle lever he has owned this rig since 1979.<br /><br />Thanks.<br />Man I love this forum.

punchy

Seaman Apprentice

Originally posted by Clams Canino:<br /> OK....<br /><br />-W
I called an asked if he checked the fire.He said when it dies he turns the key and it starts up again for another 5 seconds.Start it up again dies 5 seconds.Same thing every time.

AMD Rules

Lieutenant Commander

Maybe be worth checking the fuel pump & fuel lines. Probably gets some gas when a squeeze the bulb & then nothing after that....sputter, sputter,<br /><br />not sure if it woudl run longer than 5 seconds on the bowl fuel or not. They are thirsty animals after all...lol<br /><br />Quick test would be to keep squeezing the primer bulb once it started... to see if it will keep running.