Black Max 150 85-88 model Boggs down (Update)

jtemplin

Cadet
Black Max 150 85-88 model Boggs down. Cleaned fuel tank, new mixed gas, new fuel filter, completely rebuilt all 3 carbs, new bulb, new plugs.<br /><br />Took to lake. Starts good. Idles pretty good. Give gas and engine begins to bog. Wants to run be does not. Gets about ready to plane out but can't. <br /><br />Frustrated. Please advise. :( <br /><br />Update: Bought new 9 gal portable tank, hoses, bulb and fittings. Completely bypass builtin fuel tank, hoses and filter. Installed new plugs and wires. Took to lake. Starts good. Idles pretty good. Give gas and engine begins to bog. Wants to run will not. Gets about ready to plane out but still can't. <br /><br />Trailered boat. Notice a lot of water draining from bottom of lower unit from around prop. Is this normal? Can a lower unit problem of some kind cause engine to bog? Engines bogs in forward, neutral and reverse as throttle increases. Starting to suspect fuel pump or lower unit issue? <br /><br />Please advise

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
Re: Black Max 150 85-88 model Boggs down (Update)

For a start, check all you fuel lines and be sure they are all soft and pliable. Be sure all clamps are tight and also check fuel tank ventilation to be sure it is clear. If all that is good, you may need to do a link and sync according to your manual. Did you rebuild the fuel pump when the carbs were done?

KCLOST

Commander

Check the spark on all the cylinders at idle...<br /><br />I like to use a spark gap tester, but a timing light can also be used..<br /><br />Let us know...

jtemplin

Cadet

Originally posted by IBNFSHN:<br /> For a start, check all you fuel lines and be sure they are all soft and pliable. Be sure all clamps are tight and also check fuel tank ventilation to be sure it is clear. If all that is good, you may need to do a link and sync according to your manual. Did you rebuild the fuel pump when the carbs were done?

jtemplin

Cadet

Thanks for quick reply. I did replace all fuel lines. Will recheck clamps and ventilation. Did not rebuild fuel pump. Will consider this very soon if other suggestions do not help. Have ordered a manual, and will look up link and sync when it arrives. Let me know if any other suggestions come to mind. And Again... Thanks

jtemplin

Cadet

Originally posted by KCLOST:<br /> Check the spark on all the cylinders at idle...<br /><br />I like to use a spark gap tester, but a timing light can also be used..<br /><br />Let us know...

jtemplin

Cadet

Thank you for the quick reply. I did check the spark at idle. All were functioning, but it did appear the be a very weak spark. What do you think? What can be done to improve spark?

B.M.W II

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I had a similar problem with my 1984 V150.It would stutter and struggle to get on plane. It turned out to be my spark plug wires. They were arking out on the block. The only way I found this out was to run it at night.You could see the spark jumping to the block. Hope this helps. Good luck, Joe :cool:

andy6374

Lieutenant Commander

Have a friend pump the primer bulb when trying to get on plane and if this saves the engine from falling on its face then its time for a fuel pump rebuild.

KCLOST

Commander

If you are sure that the spark and compression is good, it's got to fuel related...<br />Maybe you don't have the floats set correctly?

jtemplin

Cadet

Originally posted by KCLOST:<br /> If you are sure that the spark and compression is good, it's got to fuel related...<br />Maybe you don't have the floats set correctly?

jtemplin

Cadet

Spark is good, all cylinders posted 112-116 psi on compression test. Carburators rebuilt by qaulified techs at local marine dealership using new kits for each.<br /><br />Can you think of anything else? Going to rebuild fuel pump next. What about lower unit problem of some kind? Is that a possible cause?

Dead Eye

Petty Officer 1st Class

I had a similar problem with a 88 i50. Ended up the exhaust ports were under water when I throttled up. I had to trim out till I got moving then in to get on plane, Eventully raised the motor up to prevent this.<br /> Dead Eye

2cycle

Petty Officer 1st Class

Did you set the idle mixture screws on each carburetor? It could be running too lean which will make it stumble and prevent the engine from accelerating. You could try opening each one 1/2 turn and see if that makes a difference. There is a detailed procedure for setting them that soemone else has probably posted before. Maybe the mechanic took them out during the rebuild and didn't dial in upon re-installation (or did you take them off yourself and have them rebuild and then you re-installed?)

boatnfreek

Recruit

high side of the stator may be weak, my 90 hp did the exact same thing & I did the exact same thing you are doing , turned out to be the stator