cross-pin stuck on tilt shaft Any Ideas WillyB?

studlymandingo

Commander
Today after returning from diving, I noticed some fluid on my 1986 150 Mariner lower unit. Upon closer inspection, I found the retaining ring and washer for the tilt shaft were at the top of the shaft, not in the cylinder where they should be. I moved them back into their proper position in hopes this would stop the leak; of course it did not. After returning home, I broke out the SELOC manual to see what had to be done to replace the o-ring that had obviously blown out. After reading up on the subject, raising the motor, and bracing it, I could not remove the cross-pin that holds the retaining pin in the top of the cylinder shaft. This has to be removed in order to pull the unit apart for repair. It looks as if it has been beaten on in the past. I sprayed it down with WD-40 while I was trying to drive it out, and finally hosed it down with PB Blaster before giving up for the night.<br /><br />Can anyone give me suggestions as to how to get this out? It is hardened steel, so drilling it out isn't really an option.<br />Here is a pic of the offending part.<br />
cross-pin.jpg

studlymandingo

Commander
Re: cross-pin stuck on tilt shaft Any Ideas WillyB?

I went by the Merc dealer today to get the rebuild kit. He said to knock the piston retaining pin out and shear off the cross pin. The new cross pin he gave me was aluminum. The cross pin in the retaining pin is hardened steel. I don't think it can be hit hard enough to shear it. Anyone else run into this problem???

studlymandingo

Commander

Okay, got it. That was almost as much fun as wisdom tooth removal or shopping for hats with my girlfriend (when there is no wind and nothing but sunshine). I really hate beating on any part of my outboard that hard with a 4 lb sledge. I beat the living crap out of it and the cross-pin finally sheared and the retaining pin came out. No tool supply store anywhere around here had any spanner wrenches, so I used the sheared parts of the pin, drilled a couple of holes in a ford fan clutch wrench and made my own spanner. I got everything apart, cleaned and replaced the o-rings, reassembled everything, and NO LEAKS!!!!!

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

necessity is the mother of invention. glad to here you got it fixed.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

What I've done in the past is to detach the trim unit at the bottom with the motor at full tilt, run the trim down to bottom-out the tilt ram, and swing the unit for access to the backside of that pin hole and pound it out that way. There's no room for that pin to go, so I twist on the unit on occasion to bend the exposed piece over, then pound out some more, bend some more, until it pops out. I'll have to keep your method in mind for the next time. Sounds a LOT faster. Thanks! :)