1970 1150 WATER ON SPARK PLUGS

AEROCOOK

Master Chief Petty Officer
Just picked up a 1970 1150 as a parts motor for my 74. The motor is in mint condition cosmetically so I may fix it and make the 74 the parts motor. Heres the issue, apparently the motor wont run well and the marina said that the spark plugs were getting water on them??<br />To me, it sounds like a bad gasket if Im lucky or a cracked part if Im not so lucky.<br />The technician working on the motor said it was likely the reeds, but what the heck do the reeds have to do with water?<br />Any obvious things to look for first?<br />BTW the comp. was tested and found to be good, does this rule out the head gasket?

Laddies

Banned
Re: 1970 1150 WATER ON SPARK PLUGS

Reeds have nothing to do with water on the plugs if the water is coming out around the plugs its the cyl. block cover gasket and if your talking about internal water then is probable leaking around the exh. Reed problems are most likely awnser from a hack that knows nothing about a Mercury

AEROCOOK

Thanks, thats what I thought about the reeds. Im beginning to think that any time a "Hack" technician cant diagnose one of these things they just say its the reeds so the customer goes away. Is there any way to pressurize the cooling system to find the leak?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Aerocook, That motor does not have a cylinder head, so it ain't the headgasket. On those motors usually water in the cylinders is caused by the inner or outer exhaust covers having a hole in them or a leak, a bad lower crankshaft seal or a bad powerhead to midsection gasket. If you want to fix it, remove the powerhead from the midsection, and pull the exhaust cover for inspection. If no holes, replace the lower crank seals and gasket.<br /><br />Remember this motor is 35 years old. Try not to break too many exhaust cover bolts, or repair will be difficult. Use heat, penetrating oil and an impact driver and good luck.

AEROCOOK

If its the lower seal, would that cause only the bottom cylinders to get water in them?

Laddies

Banned

Areocook, where are you getting the water around the plugs on the outside of the engine or in the combustion chambers, there is a big differance when it comes to repairs

Ralphy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey Aerocook, if you check out my thread--- (1975 500E - Water in bottom two cylinders ) down near the bottom of this page, I am basically working on the same problem. Might be some info that could be useful to ya. Good Luck and keep us posted.

AEROCOOK

The water is in the combustion chamber.<br />I will check out the other post and will keep you all up to date on the diagnosis.<br />Thanks all.

Laddies

Banned

The 500 powerhead don't have cooling passages around the ext. ports like the 1150s. If you have water in that 1150 it almost has to come from the exhaust port area

Laotzu

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Maybe simplistic, but is there any chance you have some water in your gas? I had water drops on the sparkplug electrodes, and the problem was water in the gas tank.<br /><br />Jerry

AEROCOOK

Water in the gas was the first thing checked, I should have mentioned that.

Clams Canino

Commander

Aerocook. What cylinders are are water-affected?<br /><br />-W

AEROCOOK

Clams. I dont know which cylinders are affected, all info relayed in the post was obtained from the workorder that the marina wrote up.<br />the previous and original owner took it in for a no start issue and after receiving the bad news, he sold it to me for $100.00.<br />I am in the process of removing the exhaust plates etc. to try to locate the source of the water entry. One thing I noticed was that the pee hole was plugged up with mud, but thats only an indcator that the water pump is working right??

Clams Canino

Commander

Right.<br /><br />If you re-do the exhaust plate gaskets and the lower seals you outta get it licked.<br /><br />-W

AEROCOOK

Well I took the powerhead off this morning, it came off quite easily, there was a lot of anti seize compound on the drive shaft spline so I figure its been off recently??<br />Removed the exhaust plates and found some corrosion but no holes or cracks, the seals at the driveshaft housing looked good too.<br />If the seals were bad, how would they allow water into the motor, there doesnt appear to be a water jacket around there?<br />What else should I look for?<br />BTW the pistons in this motor look brand new, the sides / skirts are shiney and spotless with no scuffing, is this nornmal for a 35 year old motor?

Clams Canino

Commander

It prolly been redone. Water splashes up around the bottom, intake vaccum pulls it into #6. While it's off, get a puller pull the endcap and replace the seals, pack grease all between the new ones too.<br /><br />Look at the inside of the inner plate and see if it looks steam cleaned anywhere, ditto at the exhaust ports. If so... your leak may be around that innermost plate that covers the ports on the block. *Don't* try to remove this plate without talking to me live.<br /><br />-W

AEROCOOK

Thanks Clams.<br />The inner plate shows no sign of steam cleaning, just the normal soot.<br />Begining to think that I should have run the motor myself to see which (if any) cylinders were affected. Seems to me if the motor ran for any time at all with water ingestion I should see at least some evidence of cleaning in the affected cylinders, but nothing??

Laddies

Banned

As long as your this far pull the intake port covers and ck for washing, water usally always washs the cyl that it's in, you might also keep in mind that some repair shops that are inept will tell the customer almost anything to cover there butts and get the unit out the door--Bob

AEROCOOK

Forgot to mention that the seals say KIEK. CORP. on them, possibly original or do they still have these markings? Also noticed that one of the bottom end cover studs has what appears to be a factory tamper proof seal on it, wire with a lead button with the Kiekhaufer symbol on it. Can this be original? hard to believe given the spotless condition of the inside of the motor.

emckelvy

Commander

If the lead seal is intact, it's as it was from the factory. Either original, or you may have gotten one that had a factory replacement powerhead sometime in its life. <br /><br />I picked up a '72 140 that was like that, but had scuffed piston in #1. The crank and bearings were perfect and the rest was in pretty good shape, too, except for #1. Easy rebuild; replace piston, new rings, hone cyls & new seals and away she goes!<br /><br />Either way, sounds like a good find, once you get the water injestion issue sorted out.........ed