High Speed Miss 68' 50hp merc.

blwood11

Cadet
I recently purchased fishing boat with a mercury 500 thunderbold (50hp) which is a 1968 model. Engine starts and runs great, however just will not open up and go. Backing the throttle down smooths things up immediatly. I purchased knowing of the problem, and being pretty savy with engines, I thought it would be an easy fix. I have since been frightened by others advice to leave this up to a professional. I was initially thinking of carb. issues, however reading clymers manual would suggest leaving carbs. to last resort? I realize this could be any number of things but was hoping someone would have some suggestion. Diagnostic price quotes are WOW:) cant afford and need to get to those STRIPERS while their hitting top water. Thanks a million!!!<br />p.s.<br />I was shocked to find that this engine has no alternator(generator)and found that same year model had the option of one. Any idea what kind of issues to encounter by trying to add one?

saumon

Lieutenant
Re: High Speed Miss 68' 50hp merc.

Engine starts and runs great, however just will not open up and go.
Seems to be a fuel delivery problem. Maybe carbs, but first look at the lines and primer bulb. Try with a remote tank with hose and bulb that you know were in good working condition.

Trent

Captain

5) High Speed Miss: <br />Disconnect the rectifier and retest. If the miss is gone, the rectifier is usually at fault. If the miss still exists, check the DVA voltage (between the red wires on 4 cylinder, or red wires to engine ground on 3 &6 cylinder) of the stator at high speed. NOTICE: Use caution when doing this and do not exceed the rated voltage range of your meter. The readings should show a smooth climb in voltage. If there is a sudden or fast drop in voltage right before the miss becomes apparent, the stator is usually at fault. If there is no indication of the problem, it could be a small water leak in one or two cylinders.

blwood11

Cadet

i have noticed that the primer bulb will not pump up tight. there is no fuel coming out of the carbs though to indicat a float problem. i will replace bulb then line and see what happens first i think...

blwood11

Cadet

Still no luck :( New plugs>lower two cylinders not running at all. Tried new tank and line. Heard that the flat type spark plugs were not good for a 68' model because the ignition system was not capable>the champion plugs i replaced them with made it hardly run at all. The lower two cylinders appeared to not be hitting at all when i put old plugs back in. When i pulled the wire off of #3 cylinder there was no change in motor at all. #4 I couldn't do because of the pain of the shock :) from the wire.<br />As it ended up, i was stranded before the day was up and still no resolve. Matter of fact the thing didn't want to run at all.<br />I guess main question today is if there are any reasons that the bottom two cylinders might not fire?<br />Thanks again,

Nos4r2

Lieutenant Commander

Originally posted by blwood11:<br /> i have noticed that the primer bulb will not pump up tight. there is no fuel coming out of the carbs though to indicat a float problem. i will replace bulb then line and see what happens first i think...
The primer bulb won't always pump up tight on these motors-they can overwhelm the floats-but if you feel a definite point where it becomes noticeably firmer and (with the cover off) you see fuel coming out of your carbs then its fine.<br /><br />I'd replace the bulb anyway for peace of mind-they aren't expensive. Just be aware of the above if the symptoms don't change. I'd suggest a fuel pump rebuild too-again, not expensive but good for peace of mind. Far better to spend a few $'s on preventative maintenance than to get stranded when you're in the sh1t.

blwood11

Cadet

Any ideas on what causes only two cylinders not to fire?

emckelvy

Commander

First off, the rectifier will have nothing to do with the way this motor runs.<br /><br />2nd, the fact that the primer won't pump up could be an indication that the fuel pump diaphragm is ruptured and it's dumping raw gas directly into one or 2 cylinders. You can check this by pulling the fuel pump off and checking the diaphragm for pinholes. The back of the diaphragm shouldn't be wet with fuel, either.<br /><br />3rd, you need to take all (4) spark plugs out, stick them back in the plug boots, lay them against the block, and crank the motor over. You should see a 'hot' purplish spark from all plugs. Any less won't run the motor. If you want to make a "poor man's" test plug, buy (4) non-resistor car engine plugs with extended tips, doesn't matter what they came from. Break off, cut off, or grind off the ground electrode leaving only the center. If the spark will jump this plug, it's good.<br /><br />4th, are you sure of the year? Sounds like you're confused as to what spark plug this motor should carry. A true '68 would have Lighting Energizer electronic ign, with an external ign coil, and a switchbox mounted on the front inner cowl support.<br /><br />If you have a magneto, you'd have none of that, only the mag bolted to the motor with plug wires coming out.<br /><br />You should only use Permagap plugs with the electronic ign (L76V or equivalent), and conventional-electrode plugs with a magneto ign (probably J4C unless you have one of the 'oddball' years with a long-reach plug).<br /><br />If you post your Ser. # we can pin down the exact year.<br /><br />If cyls 3 & 4 have good spark, you'd want to rule out the fuel system as a problem. Check the fuel pump; also pull the main jet plug out of the front of the carb (lower center) and attempt to flush fuel thru the carb with the primer bulb. It should come 'gushing' out of the main jet area. Then you'll at least know fuel is getting into the bottom carb. You may need to pull the float cover off the carb and inspect/clean/blow out as needed. You should be able to do all this without pulling the carb off the motor. If it's gunked up real bad you'll need to remove the carb. Pick up a Sierra Marine #18-7006 gasket kit and it'll have the small gaskets you'll need to reassemble the carb. Cheap and readily available thru NAPA or www.boatfix.com amongst others.<br /><br />Note that you could have 'trash' in the distributor cap which can cause a misfire so that's something else to check out if you suspect spark issues.<br /><br />Anyway, fill us in on the particulars of your motor, once we pin down the exact year we can probably help further.<br /><br />HTH.......ed

blwood11

Cadet

WOW, thanks ED! I do have the external ingition coil and switch box (which by the way the prev. owner threw in backup extras). I put another remote tank and line and resolved the prob. with the primer bulb tightening prior to my recent breakdown on the lake:( My next step will be to check firing on all plugs. By the way, are the Permagap plugs the flat ended ones? Boat is at father-in-laws and will not be able to work with for few days. I will keep you informed as to my finds. Thanks again!!!<br />Brandon

Rovernaut

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Blwood11, have you checked your plug leads, could be a crook one ?<br />Faulty leads can cause a miss.

gatorred

Petty Officer 1st Class

try is it fireing then the carb float is stuck up need stuck it will run on half motor my 1968 50 will, mine tap the carb float bowl with a rachet handle the dist and coil will not part fire unless sparkplug wires i have a 50 and 80 motor the system work rather good as backup motor,80 and trolling boat,is 50