alarm won't stop

riverrott

Recruit
I have a triton tr-18 with a mercury 150 efi motor. I have just replaced the water pump impeller.the reason for this was the engine stopped after launching i trolled back to the dock and tried restart.after several unsuccessful attempts the engine started but the alarm kept sounding.I was told the impeller needed replacing because i had no water pressure and the engine wasn't discharging water.I backed the boat to motor depth today the engine fired immediatly I now have water pressure and the engine pees as my daughter says...but the alarm keeps sounding. any ideas would be greatly appreciated..thanx

LubeDude

Admiral
Re: alarm won't stop

Welcome to Iboats, you came to the right place.<br /><br />If I cant help you, someone will.<br /><br />Intermitent Beep Beep Beep, or one long Beeeeeeeeep?

riverrott

Recruit

continuos beep beep beep never stops at any rpm or for any amount of tiime

Dunaruna

Admiral

is this a post 2002 4 stroke?<br /><br />I don't have any hands on knowledge, but i can quote from the manual.<br /><br />A continuous beepbeepbeep means the guardian system has activated, could be one or more of a list of problems.<br /><br />As per the genuine manual - <br /><br />Engine overheat.<br />Low oil pressure.<br />Batt voltage is less than 10v or more than 16v.<br />Coolant sensor failure.<br />Engine speed limiter.<br /><br />Hope this helps.<br /><br />Aldo

LubeDude

Admiral

The beep, beep, beep is the oil warning, dont run the boat anymore untill you figure it out. Dang, (No offence intended), but I cant understand what people are thinking when they run there engines anyway after and durring a warning horn sounding. :confused: <br /><br />Anyway, get a manual for your engine, Merc manuals are the best. Read it, and then read it again. It will tell you how to troubleshoot your oiling system.<br /><br />Tell then Premix your fuel at 50:1 untill you get it figured out. You might look at the oil level inside the cowling of your engine, it should be completly full, no air space at all. If its not, check that you have oil in the main oil tank and fill it. Be carefull not to over fill this tank, as it has to have about 2 inches of air space for preasure to build up. Then remove the cap on the tank under the cowling and fill with TC-W3 oil, then start the engine on muffs in the driveway and losen the cap untill oil starts seeping out then tighten it. This purges any air in the tank. If the alarm is still sounding you will have to look for other issues describbed in your manual.

riverrott

Recruit

None taken Lube...Just an amatuer..Was told by someone they had similar problem after replacing impeller...said alarm didn't stop immediately....had to run up rpms before it quit.Thanx for the 411....seen on this site that a site called biggerhammer doesn't have manuals any longer...any suggestions on where to get a manual??

LubeDude

Admiral

Originally posted by riverrott:<br /> None taken Lube...
Thats good, Im not known for being the most tactfull person here. You can get a manual at your local Merc dealer, if not, maybe someone else here has an outlet for you. I have a Seloc manual, and it is just barely adaquate.