Mariner 75 3rd Stator and Counting

axscuba

Cadet
Hi<br />I have a Mariner 75hp 1993 and having problems with the Stator. I have fitted three Stators in the last three months. Any ideas as to what could be causing this.<br />Help.<br />Thanks in Advance

Rovernaut

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Mariner 75 3rd Stator and Counting

After 3, I wouldn't take a punt and fit a 4th one till you check everthing out. Stators are expensive as you know.<br />Is your control box ok?

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

have you installed the RED stator kit or are you still using new old stock black ones? if your usuing the original black ones they did not last long when new. but merc kept telling us there were no stator problems when we were crying to them about stator failues, I think every midsized mariner and force we sold in the 92-95 time frame failed. some in less than 10 hours.<br /> we found real quick that if the black stator was replaced with a black stator another failure was imminent. the red stator kit with an ign adapter seemed to work well.

axscuba

Cadet

For the last Stator I fitted, I also changed the Control Box/Switch Box.<br />Would a faulty Rectifier not only affect the charging side of the Stator or is it the same.<br /><br />What is the best way to test a rectifier, without running the engine.<br />Thanks

Laddies

Banned

A bad rectifier or regulator can cause a stator to build heat and destroy it's self, mercrucy stators are junk, CDI/Rapair give the best service life, we have install many in the last 15 years and never had a failure--Bob

axscuba

Cadet

Iam now in possesion of a new red Stator kit.<br />Can anyone suggest what I should be checking apart from the Rectifier and Control/Switch Box that can give problems to the Stator.<br />If this new Stator fails then the engine is going for a swim.!<br />Thanks in advance for your help.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

if you were messing about with the black stators and burning out the low speed charge coils you most likly have no defects in your system. those stators were junk. it got so bad we would not even install one cause it would fail shortly after installation. thje new red stator kit should include a ign adapter module and a new regulator/rectifier. and a whole bunch of other parts and pieces. the kit fits a range of 2 cylinder through 4 cylinder force and merc notors.

dsrchamp04

Petty Officer 3rd Class

laddies has a very good reputation on these forums for giving good advice and treating everyone very good....keep that it mind...and happy boating!!