Bad Coil?

roadcrew_1

Cadet
I have a 1976 Merc 9.8 with the thunder bolt ignition.It had no spark on either cyl, I recently replaced the switch box with a used one. Now I have spark on top cyl. and nothing on the bottom cyl. so- I switched the wires on the coils and now just the oposite - spark on bottom cyl and no spark on top cyl. this would leave me to believe a bad coil right????

andy6374

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Bad Coil?

Hold on... just so I know. You replaced the switchbox. Then you have spark on the top cylinder and none on the bottom. You switch the ignition coil leads at the switch. Now you have spark on the bottom but none on top.<br /><br />If this is the case, then the switchbox is bad.<br /><br />If this isn't what you were saying, rephrase.<br /><br />I am not sure what -""I switched the wires on the coils"" - means<br /><br />-andy

roadcrew_1

Cadet

No, I unscrewed the two wires that are attached to the side of the coil that had spark and hooked them to the coil that did not have spark. now that coil will produce a spark. Bad coil?

roadcrew_1

Cadet

No, I unscrewed the two wires that are attached to the side of the coil that had spark and hooked them to the coil that did not have spark. now that coil will produce a spark. Bad coil?

roadcrew_1

Cadet

Dahhhhh! ya bad switchbox! God I have been working on this thing toooo long!