Will not pee

RonRaetz

Cadet
merc yr 2000, 90hp 2 stroke<br />I put it on the hose for the first time this year. I let it run about 10 min. No water comes out the pee hole.<br />Same thing happened last year, eventually it stared flowing.<br /><br />Should I just let it run? Is there any sensor that would shut it off if it got to hot? How long would it take to damage it?

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
Re: Will not pee

Check the hose and make sure mud daubers haven't taken up residence in there.

timmathis

Lieutenant

Dont run it to long 3-5 min max.you need to find your problem! I dont know that motor. Sorry I was no help on findng your problem.

andrewkafp

Lieutenant Commander

Ron<br /><br />2 or 4 stroke ? Your last post said 4 ?<br />Nevertheless.. These late model motors are famous for a delay in getting water up to the pee-er. Could be water pressure from hose, thermostat not open, or even worn impeller. When was W/Pump last serviced ?

RyBisp

Cadet

I have even blew up into the line and when i started it back up dirt from an apparent mud dabbers nest beyond the hose came out...hope it helps , just been my expierence

RonRaetz

Cadet

Stacer, boy, you don't miss much - my last post was a year ago. It is a 2 stroke. Same problem last year, eventually it flowed and had no problem. Have never had cooling serviced. It's 4 years old, few hours. Can I depend on the overheat alarm to sound before damage is done?<br /><br />RyBisp, I will try to get a look beyond hose.

andrewkafp

Lieutenant Commander

LOL.. No, I did a search on your posts to find history.<br />I have a Brand New Mariner 50 (2 hrs old)that doesn't pee much on muffs but is fine in the water. People say that the hose pressure is not sufficient to keep up with the impeller, so I made a double inlet set of muffs.4 years is getting a bit long in the tooth for W/P service. The overheat alarm, accoring to the manual will enable you to limp back at low revs without damage, but don't wait for the impeller to disintegrate as it leaves rubber deposits in the cooling system.

RonRaetz

Cadet

I don't run the hose water at anything near full pressure. On my last motor full pressure would cause the muffs to fall off so I used little pressure and it was fine. I would think the pump would do all the work. I'm gonna try it at full hose pressure - that would be my cheapest problem ever. Thanks for the help.

79 Silverline

Seaman Apprentice

I have an old school Merc 90 (inline 6), and when it wouldn't pee, I thought my water pump was dead. I sprayed pressurized water into the hole and when I started it up, it spat out a bunch of mud and then worked fine forever after that. Try clearing the hole. If that doesn't work and it doesn't flow when it's in the water, I'd suspect the water pump. Good luck.

RonRaetz

Cadet

Stacer, I really dig those muffs. American ingenuity. They don't look too hard to make from 2 pairs of muffs. I'm getting the impression from these posts that I not the first guy to ever have what might be just a pickup problem. I'll let ya know.

MrBigStuff

Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by RonRaetz:<br /> American ingenuity.
Look at the addr-<br /><br />Time to toss some shrimp on the barbie and crack a Foster's oil can...

andrewkafp

Lieutenant Commander

L O L Rastro... ;) But the Yanks can take credit for the Mighty Mercs.. Good ol' Fond du lac know how.... Crikey mate..

RonRaetz

Cadet

My appologies to our Ausie friends. I hope they take it as a complement as intended. My next case will be a Fosters.

andrewkafp

Lieutenant Commander

Lucky you guys still manufacture Outboards.. Wouldn't wanna get stuck with one of those made "Elsewhere"...

MrBigStuff

Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by Stacer 460:<br />[QBGood ol' Fond du lac know how.... [/QB]
Funny thing, I lived >40 years just a few miles from that Fond Du Lac plant and didn't own a Merc until I moved 1500 miles away. Must be time to buy a Harley as well...

emckelvy

Commander

Regardless of whether there's any water coming out of the pee hole, when you're running on the flusher a quantity of warmer-than-what's-going-in water should be coming out from the center of the prop hub.<br /><br />The majority of water spills down the center leg and out the prop, so that's a good indication of getting water up into the motor.<br /><br />Also feel the exhaust manifold cover, it shouldn't get real hot. If it does don't run the motor anymore until you find out what the problem is.<br /><br />HTH and G'luck........ed