setting the shifting cables

jvb

Petty Officer 2nd Class
i have a '67 merc 95 HP outboard. we recently had to do some work to the shift box and now the cables are not set right at the motor end. here are the problems:<br /><br />-idle is slightly too slow<br />-reverse does not engage (out of water, the prop feels engaged when shifted into reverse)<br /><br />of the two shifting cables (top and bottom) which one adjusts the idle, and which one adjusts the shifting position. what direction should the little barrel on the threaded rod be turned to fix these problems?

Laddies

Banned
Re: setting the shifting cables

Top is for throttle and bottom is for shift, you need to move the barrel in the diriction you want to move the cable

jvb

Petty Officer 2nd Class

which direction would fix these problems? i dont want to screw these up...

jvb

Petty Officer 2nd Class

when i move the barrel towards the back, does that translate into pushing the cable further to the back?

jvb

Petty Officer 2nd Class

can anyone help with this?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Start from scratch by disconnecting both cables at the engine. This means taking the cables out of the holder on the engine as well, not just disconnecting them from the linkage.<br />Now - move the throttle lever on the control box until one cable just begins to move. The first cable to move is the shift cable. Put the lever on the control box in neutral. Then make sure the shift linkage on the engine is in neutral. Now hold the cable so the barrel (the adjustment) is lined up with the holder on the engine. At this point, check to see how the end of the cable lines up with the shift linkage. Turn the barrel forward or backward until the cable can be slipped on the linkage without moving anything. Secure the barrel to the engine. The process is the same for the throttle linkage.

jvb

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks! so, if i have this right - to speed up the idle, i need to push the barrel towards the back of the motor which will actually pull the throttle forward by shortening the cable? and then for the shifting, i think i need to push the shifter further into reverse by turning the barrel towards the front. does this make sense?

heybaylor

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ok on the shift cable..adjust barrel until<br />goes positive into reverse, then check neutral for free spinning prop. check forward gear for engagement..your done <br /><br />DO NOT adjust idle with cable..<br />adjust idle to desired speed with with the idle stop screw.. remove throttle cable and hold arm against stop screw to adjust ..<br /><br />then after idle is set ... adjust barrel on throttle cable to lightly hold throttle arm against screw..with throttle in neutral<br />hope this helps

jvb

Petty Officer 2nd Class

where is the idle stop screw located? i cant seem to find it...

laker925

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Is there ever a need to adjust the advance screw any while you do this and does that help it it "kick in"as you go forward(mine starts to die out)?<br />I will have to set the cables right but I know that it needs to advance a bit/ also it idles a bit too low.<br />Any suggestions?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Laker -- please don't jump into someone elses thread. Start a new one indicating what the problem is.

heybaylor

Petty Officer 2nd Class

the throttle control arm that your cable attaches too ..<br />with cable disconnected move it back until it stops.<br />then look to see where the screw with jam nut on it that stops it is located ..it hits low on the arm ..attached to the engine block

jvb

Petty Officer 2nd Class

the shifting sort of grinds for a second when shifting. could this be because the throttle cable is set too high? i wonder if this is giving it too much speed before it fully shifts into gear?

heybaylor

Petty Officer 2nd Class

in gear , set your idle with the idle stop to <br />550-650..<br />should result in 600-750 in neutral

jvb

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i dont have a rpm gauge anywhere - how else can i check this? could a rpm gauge be added easily?

laker925

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Jvb had also wanted to know about the cable that adjusts the shifting position. How do you get that adjusted so it is in the right place so that the shifting kicks in right?

jvb

Petty Officer 2nd Class

is a little grinding normal when shifting into gear? would it make sense to slow the throttle cable to fix this?

heybaylor

Petty Officer 2nd Class

you dont slow the throttle cable to adjust idle..<br />you set the idle at the mechanical stop..<br /><br />adjust to lowest rpm you can without stalling when placed in gear..in the water not on "muffs"<br /><br />then adjust cable to lightly push the throttle arm against the stop.<br /><br />when shifting , make a quick movement to in gear. <br />dont ease it in