Mercury 2002 25 four stroke stalled tries to start

pat35

Cadet
Hi my name is pat. this is my first post.I have <br />a Mercury 2002 25 4 stroke. would like to see if anyone can give any hints,or help.I have just ordered a service manuel will arrive I 3 weeks so have nothing to go by.was running about 5500 rpm felt motor hesitate 4 min before it stalled. it beeped once then instantly turned off will start but dies within 5 seconds if you keep trying it will not even try to start unless you let it sit or pump the ball the then it seems to start then dies 5 seconds then the ball isnt hard takes a while to get hard will not run when pumping also when engine is tilted all the way up and you pump the ball it leaks gas out the lower unit dont think this is normal .there arent any more external leaks other then this.I believe it is fuel related. due to these things but I am probably wrong dont want to jump to anything. I read about the system I think the loud beep means something. I work all day on cars mostly doing drivability only had few minutes to look at engine last week. will spend more time on it this week so any help would be grateful.<br />thank you pat ste895@bellsouth.net

Bob H.

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Mercury 2002 25 four stroke stalled tries to start

Stupid question but are sure the fuel vent is open? Don't expect to fill the carb bowl with the engine tilted up, the needle valve will not seat to shut off fuel and you'll make a mess as you found out. The engine will not run when tilted up. Not familiar with the electronics on that engine but it sounds like a sensor is open somewhere. Need schematics.

pat35

Cadet
Re: Mercury 2002 25 four stroke stalled tries to start

thank you yes the vent is open. was reel ruff wen trying to start tilted up this answers one of my questions and I didn't have it all the way up just to inspect .just sounds so much like full don't think this motor has any sensors on the full side I may be wrong don't have manual yet and there isn't any wires to any of the fuel components didn't see any cam or crank sensors brought aseliscopes home from work to put some time into it this week I wish it wood be a cam or crank but probley one of the more expensive parts is there a computer on this motor that monitors the out puts and inputs or just fonchens commands the ignition side some one seed it proble was that computer bad just like the automotive bines just jump to the computer he seed that it could be scanned with a laptop was wondering if you could get this software problem doesn't have a obd connector any input wood be helpful going to be working on it to day in the ran thank you pat