7.5 merc

pontoon chief

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Have a 7.5 merc around 1970,Motor is in fairly good condition,so it is wortyh fixing.<br />There is spark when you first test it with a spark tester.However after a short time,several minutes the spark is gone.If you let the motor sit for a time,the spark will again be there when you test it.<br />With the plugs in,it will putt a few times before going dead.<br />Any ideas?

Laddies

Banned
Re: 7.5 merc

It sound like a early CD ignition with points and cracked insulaters whats the seriel number

pontoon chief

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It appears to have two coils mounted towards the back of the motor,and under the flywheel is a stator coil.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

If it is a 1970, then it does have points. The stator coil (or 'donut') surrounds the area where the points are. There may also be a cover over the points. If you have intermittent spark, then you should go ahead and replace the points with new... Check all wiring for cracking/splitting, too....<br /><br />- Scott

Laddies

Banned

It's a 70 by the serial number so try my first post, it has pts and insulater blocks--Bob

pontoon chief

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks I'll pull the flywhell again and check for points.Will I have to take off the five pronged coil on top?Or are they right out in the open?