Prop blows out before getting on plane

jbasser

Cadet
I have a 1992 175 XRi Mercury on a 1993 Ranger 481V bass boat. Last year I began having problems with the prop blowing out just as the boat begins to go on plane. It didn't happen every time, and sometimes would only happen on the first take off, and then be fine the rest of the day. It also seems to happen more when I have a partner in the boat. I thought it might be a problem with the prop, since it had some dings and pitting from hitting some gravel when I was in Maine last June, and the problem seemed to start after that happened. This year I took the prop in to be refurbished and rehubbed, thinking that would solve the problem, but it's still happening, it seems to be worse. The motor doesn't seem like it's losing power at take off. It takes off strong, but when the bow begins to drop down as it begins to get on plane, the prop blows out. I've tried raising and lowering the motor on the jack plate, to see if it made any difference, but no effect. When I was out yesterday, I had to have my partner sit up front to help get the bow down, but that didn't work either. I ended up having to start turning the boat while coming out the hole, and that helped. <br />Any one have any ideas?

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: Prop blows out before getting on plane

It almost sounds like youve lost some diameter and/or cupping. What brand and style prop is it?

Laddies

Banned

It still sounds like the hub is slipping, take a prickpunch and mark the prop and hub, then run the boat and see if they still line up--Bob

Scali

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sounds like the prop is ventilating is there lots of floating debris around when it happens, but I would check for a spun hub too.

admar

Cadet

what condition is the bottom of the boat in? clean? have you added any new livewell pick-ups or transducers? is the boat stored on a properly fitted trailer?

jbasser

Cadet

To Dhadley: The prop is a mercury tempest SS 25 pitch. I've had it on the boat since 1996 and it has always performed well in the past. Thanks.<br /><br />To: Laddies: My brother suggested that too, I hope to check it out this weekend. Hard to believe a newly rehubbed prop is bad, but you never know.<br /><br />To: Scali: No, there was no debris around. What do you mean by "ventilating"?<br /><br />To: admar: The bottom of the boat is clean with no damage that I can see. The livewell pickups are as they have been since I bought the boat, same with the trailer. Everything looks normal.<br /><br />Thanks for responses guys. I hope to be able to get out this weekend a try the spun hub check, and also another prop. I'll let yuou know how I make out.

KIPER

Cadet

i don't know if your prop has the 3 fingersize holes in it or not but mine does and it had one plastic washer in one of the holes. when i took it out my boat would almost not plain out at all. mine alsoo is a tempest plus 25p when i put the washer back in or even put 2 in i can tell the difference. hope this might help

jbasser

Cadet

To KIPER:<br /><br />I don't remember having plastic washer/s in the holes at the base of the prop. I bought the prop from a friend when I first got the boat in 96. There are three holes that have always been there, but it may be there was a washer or washers on the inside that I hadn't noticed before. I'll check into it. Thanks for the help.<br />This site is great.

jbasser

Cadet

I took the boat out yesterday with my brother and found that the prop is not spinning on the hub. We put on another prop and the boat got on plane with no problems. I'm going to take KIPER's advice and order vent plugs and see if that does the trick.<br /><br />Thanks everyone for your help.<br /><br />JBear.