Will not get on plane

Subforce

Recruit
I have a 1998 75ELPTO HP motor, electric start. The motor idles fine in the driveway and on the lake, however; when I go to give the gas, nothing happens, I stay at idle speed. My trolling motor moves me faster through the water than my outboard :( . Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Laddies

Banned
Re: Will not get on plane

Have you cked the linkage to make sure it's working

Subforce

Recruit

In the driveway all works well. Prop spins and speeds up as throttle is increased. I don't think it is a linkage problem.

plumber2

Cadet

Putting a load on it is way different than in the driveway. My similar problem was a vacuum leak and carbs out of adjustment. If its been a while since its been run the carb or carbs probably need cleaning and new plugs. I found a cool tool at Autozone for $7. Its a little thing that looks like a test light you can run down a plug wire and a light flashes when it fires everywhere that it is firing, even at the plug. Really handy for making sure you are getting fire. Good luck.

Bradg

Seaman

My brother have the same problem with his older 85<br />merc,ran fine at home on muffs but on lake after running for a few mins could not get above idle speed. Was the fuel pump on his motor.

saltwater_cowboy

Seaman Apprentice

Had same problems on a 1988 80HP 3cyl. Cleaned the carbs out and replaced the fuel pump kit and all good now.<br /><br />Only a few bucks to sort and an hour or so.

JohnnyS

Seaman Apprentice

Had a similar sounding issue last year. Turned out to be a bad switchbox. Replaced it and like magic I was back in business.<br /><br />John