Over charging 135HP V-6

rboats

Cadet
Help Please no hair left. I have a 1988 Merc V-6 serial #OB334217. Voltage guage works up to 16 volts, verified by DVM. I replaced voltmeter, rectifier,and stator. Stator because I lost spark to one bank, I suspect Over charging took out the stator. All new parts still charging at 16 volts. I have checked and double checked all grounds, like new. Please if you have any sugestions, I dont want to run it this way.<br /><br />RBBOATS

Laddies

Banned
Re: Over charging 135HP V-6

If every thing cks out and all the connections are clean and tight, you might consider replaceing the rectifier with a voltage regulator

KCLOST

Commander

You should have a voltage regulator on that motor... It's on top of the block behind the flywheel... Time for a new one?

KCLOST

Commander

Here it is....<br /><br />
DSC00338.JPG

rboats

Cadet

Originally posted by RBBOATS:<br /> Help Please no hair left. I have a 1988 Merc V-6 serial #OB334217. Voltage guage works up to 16 volts, verified by DVM. I replaced voltmeter, rectifier,and stator. Stator because I lost spark to one bank, I suspect Over charging took out the stator. All new parts still charging at 16 volts. I have checked and double checked all grounds, like new. Please if you have any sugestions, I dont want to run it this way.<br /><br />RBBOATS

rboats

Cadet

Thanks for the picture. I replaced the voltage regulator yesterday, thats my problem why is still over charging?

rboats

Cadet

Sorry in my first post I said I replaced the voltmeter, I meant to say voltage regulator, I am new at this, don't give up on me. Could you possibly take a picture of the wiring going into the rectifier, my Clymer manual does not even show a voltage regulator on there V-6. I want to make sure I have the two yellow wirers from the stator going to the correct terminals on the rectifier. I have one going to the right and one to the center. The positive has the two red leads. <br /><br />Thanks for your help.

Laddies

Banned

A regulator has 1 yellow and 2 red wires, a rectifer has 2 yellow, one yellow has a gray attached with it and 2 reds if it has a reg, and only 1 if it doesn't

heybaylor

Petty Officer 2nd Class

mercury wants 150 bucks for a regulator, they want 40 for a rectifier..190 total<br />Rapair has a "combo unit for 108.00<br />I have one and it works well, even has a "better heatsink .<br />mercury has not updated...but aftermarket has.<br />the wiring is simple .the two yellow leads ( charging coil ) from the stator go to the unit ..<br />then you hook the red wire from the unit to the battery via the existing red wire ..the grey tach wire hooks to one of the yellow at the unit ..<br />mine holds voltage at 14.5 - 14.7 at any rpm above 2000...it holds even with everything on the boat turned on , or off ..I would say it works well

KCLOST

Commander

Here is the pic of the rectifier wiring... I am holding the two wires from the voltage regulator so you can see where they go.... Hope this helps... On your motor you only have two wires from (or going to) the regulator..<br /><br />
DSC00593.JPG
<br /><br />As you can see there are a total of six wires on the rectifier... 3 are yellow, two are red and the black lead at the top which is actually the grey wire, like laddiesservice mentioned...<br /><br />Yellow stator leads - one on right, one on middle... Plus the yellow lead from the VR on the right also... It sounds like you may have missed the later...

rboats

Cadet

I can't thank you enough KCLOST, for the picture, I do have it wired correctly. I will try to send a picture as soon as I figure how to do that. <br /><br />I also want to thank Laddiesservice for their input.<br /><br />I was kinda hoping I had it wired wrong, at least I would have known why it was over charging.

rboats

Cadet

In response to heybaylor, could you give me some information on the combo unit for $108.00, and where I could purchase one. I spoke with a marine tech today and he said if the voltage regulator does not kick off at 14.5volts to replace it. Will my brand new voltage regulator for $150.00 did not fix it, still goes to 16volts.

rboats

Cadet

Any other suggestions, new stator,new voltage regulator,new rectifier,new marine battery, all wired correctly. Volt guage and DVM at battery still go to 16 volts.<br /><br />Thanks

KCLOST

Commander

Esure all ground connections that are required... Maybe...

KCLOST

Commander

And, are you sure you replaced the stator with the proper one...?

rboats

Cadet

Yes I have replaced it twice, it is the 5/8 inch one. The part numbers have been on them both.<br /><br />Thanks for the suggestion

rboats

Cadet

Last season I had to replace one switch box,because I lost spark to one bank also, similar to when the first stator went out. But this time when switching the red and blue and the red/white and the blue/white it did not switch spark to the other bank. Switch box repaired it. Should I have replaced both boxes.<br /><br />For the last two years I have had the idle stabalizer disconnected, it idles slower, easyier on the gears, smoother. could this have anything to do with my problem?<br /><br />I have tied different batteries, deep cycle, automotive ,standard marine all within Mercs cold cranking amp perameters.

KCLOST

Commander

Not necessarily on the boxes, if they were the originals it might be best to replace both... But that won't have anything to do with your overcharging problem...<br /><br />Idle stabilizer won't have an affect on it either....<br /><br />Something has to be going on with the stator, regulator or rectifier, I recommned getting a manual for your motor and testing all the outputs out accordingly.... Something isn't right, and I don't want you to start replacing things that may or may not be the culprit.. The first guess is the rectifier, then the regulator...bytheway...

rboats

Cadet

I have another regulator coming in from Florida. Maybe the one they sent me was defective. Do you think a stator that allows the the engine to run great could cause an over charge condition? If I run with all accessories on do you think it can harm the stator? Thanks for your quick replys. You have been a great help. If I cold have returned the reulator and got my 150.00 back I would have tried the combo retro fit reg/rec.

KCLOST

Commander

No, it's not the stator causing the overcharging (assuming you have the correct one and it is hooked up properly)... It puts out the voltage but the rectifier should convert the voltage from AC to DC and the regulator should do the regulating.. :)