mercury problems ?

satman7475

Seaman Apprentice
Re: mercury problems ?

oh forgot to ask any body know where to get a top to the motor, a motor cover, i put two big holes in my . 90, 200hp blackmax mer. dont ask.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Satman,<br /><br />Are you using a GPS to measure your speed? My caculator says you should be getting around 65 MPH (56 knots) with that setup. What about the tacho? Is it the 'standard' factory issue? Or a shop tach? Some tachos can be as much as 500rev out. Is the prop cupped or uncupped?<br /><br />Chris...........

mchristo63

Cadet

Amen Rabidfish. Hey, I think I just bought some parts from you. Small world.

dajohnson53

Lieutenant Commander

I just looked at this thread and didn't see an answer to your question about cavitation plate. Take a look at this link if you're still confused about how the motor should sit on the boat:<br /><br /> Cavitation plate <br /><br />I'd also second the recommendation to use a hand-held GPS to measure your speed. Borrow one if you don't have on (or buy a cheap one -they're handy to have!). In my experience, normal boat speedos are not accurate.<br /><br />I also liked the other advice about checking to make sure the prop hub is OK, that the tach is accurate (set right), and that the speedo you're using is set up correctly. <br /><br />You can often find motor covers (also known as "cowling") in Ebay and also companies that have used outboard parts. You don't necessarily have to have the exact one from your motor. Cowlings from various sizes and years are often identical except for the decals. If you want to then replace the decals to make it accurate (or to hide the HP, if it's over HP :D ), you can ofen buy new decals or have them made at a custom sign or auto decal shop.<br /><br />To me, if you have a good running 200 hp, with a sound prop correct for that motor's WOT RPM's (accurate tach), and the motor is set up right (cavitation plate and trim), you should be getting more speed (accurate speedo or GPS) than with the 150 you used to run. Again, assuming the 200 is a strong engine, which it sounds like it is.<br /><br />Sounds like a nice rig, have fun with it. Let us know what you come up with.

satman7475

Seaman Apprentice

thanks guys, i think i found my answer, my johnson was a short shaft and this mec is a long shaft. the merc does always get up on plane where my johson woulnt, but i have notice from the get go that there is a 2- second delay. from the web page it says its okay to do this. i guess i can live with 50mph, i dont mind. thanks d for the informative web page i think it help alot...................... by the way rabidfish, sounds as if i rubed off the wrong way on you. sorry, was the last thing i was trying to do, hope you accept my apploy. came here to make friends not enemys, sorry again..

dajohnson53

Lieutenant Commander

If it's not sitting on the transom at the ideal position (I'm assuming it's sitting too low?), why not get it on there correctly? Yes the web site says it's OK but I wouldn't do it. You're wasting fuel and performance. <br /><br />There are many options - raising it on the existing transom, rebuild or remodel the transom if necessary to rasise it, buy or have fabricated a plate to raise it up on the existing transom, or buy a cheap jack plate. If you have a shop that's familiar with boat work (metal shop or boat shop), you might be surprised that it's easier and cheaper than you might think. I'd want to get everything I could out of that 200 if it were mine.<br /><br />Good luck

satman7475

Seaman Apprentice

yea i guess i could raise the motor, by the way it does set below the trnsom. but talked to someone and they said( in theer opion that it wouldnt do nothing but make the rpms go sky high and could blow the motor) like you said i could modify it, but thouht it would cost a bit to much, what is a jack plate, excuse me for asking, still learing. would you try to raise it or modify it like you were saying, just trying to go the cheep way out already cost me alot as is. so in your opion what do you think my easy way out is

dajohnson53

Lieutenant Commander

There is no reason why raising it to the correct position (so the cavitation plate's approximately even with the bottom of the boat) would cause it to over-rev. Overrevving would be caused by the wrong prop. You have no idea until you get the motor in the right position. Although, if you tell the kind of boat and prop you have, there are some folks here that could tell you if you're in the ball park or not. <br /><br />A jack plate is an add on thing that can be used to raise or lower the motor. There are also stationary mounts that can be used to raise the motor. Do a web and ebay search for jackplate and you'll see some options - some are expensive (like the adjustable, hydraulic jackplates), some are cheaper. I believe you can have a competent metal fabrication shop make you a stationary bracket of some sort to raise the motor if your current transom isn't high enough. <br /><br />Here's a recent thread on motor height which has a photo of a fairly simple, stationary jackplate/bracket<br /><br /> motor height thread <br /><br />Good luck and let us know what you come up with. Like I said, I'd personally feel bad if I wasn't getting what I could out of a 200 hp engine! Aside from the speed and performance, you're wasting fuel because of the extra drag of the engine's foot in the water. Also handling.<br /><br />Does your rig have power trim and tilt?