Help! No Key

lifelover

Recruit
I was given a boat (Wife's uncle passed away) but they could not find the key. It has a 35 hp Mercury (1979? serial #A15435) with a quicksilver control pod. The ignition switch is a push to choke and appears to have 6 connection points with 9 wires solder on to them.<br /><br />What is the best way to resolve this issue. If I do not care if it has a key is they a way to bypass it.<br /><br />Thanks<br /><br />tight lines and fair winds

rabidfish

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Help! No Key

It probably has a mercury key.<br />Any good dealer will have a master set. they can figure out which key you need and get you going for a minimum of expense.

DHPMARINE

Captain

there maybe (or have been) a small sticker on the switch,or loose in the control box.It has the key # on it.Bypassing to get on-off-and crank is difficult.Can you bring the boat to a dealer to have him try his keys?If the wiring is getting old,installing a new switch can become a real mess.<br /><br />DHP

bh357

Chief Petty Officer

Ditto what Rabidfish said. I took my ignition switch to a local Merc dealer, and they tried a number of different keys until one worked.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

I believe the only Push-to-Choke keys are the ones that are being used now. The A on your serial number indicates that it's much newer than a 1979, but there's a digit or two missing.<br /><br />There are 12 possibilities, 1A - 2F. The letter indicates the grooves on the keys and the number indicates the teeth. When trying keys, if a 1B fits in there but doesn't turn, then it'll be the 2B, etc.

lifelover

Recruit

Thanks for the replies. I'll find a local dealer and go from there.

tpwebb

Cadet

My push to choke switch fell to pieces and i have to replace it. What or where do I find a part number to get a replacement. I have a 1985 35hp merc. and the switch is mounted in the dash and not the control box. It has 6 copnnection and 8 or 9 wires. Please reply ASAP. Thanks Tim

north40

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you take the switch out (leave wires attached) to where you can look at it closely, there will be a number molded into the housing. It should be 1A-2F as WB said if it is fairly recent.

north40

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you take the switch out (leave wires attached) to where you can look at it closely, there will be a number molded into the housing. It should be 1A-2F as WB said if it is fairly recent.<br />p.s. My Merc dealer looked at me like I was crazy when I asked if he had a master set of keys.

Rovernaut

Petty Officer 2nd Class

For what it's worth, Sierra make replacement Ignition switches for Mercs.<br /> You guys State Side can buy 'em for about $16.95 USD.<br />Hardly worth the aggravation at that price trying to hunt a key down.<br />If yours is an old switch than a little money will give you piece of mind that the barrel won't be too worn.