De-Icer excessive fuel consumption

Kiekhaeferscurse

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Added a de-icer kit to a 99/125 hp merc,customer now says he is using twice as much fuel. Havent been able to confirm this with a Fuel flow meter, but Was wondering if anyone else has seen this problem.<br />thanks in advance

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: De-Icer excessive fuel consumption

I never heard of a de-icer kit. What is it?

Kiekhaeferscurse

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi WillyBWright<br />Merc makes it, all it does is run warm water (tee'd from tale tell) and runs it through the top of the carbs. You no that little inspection plate at the top of the carbs, its replaced with a machine piece has inlet & outlet for water, then it all exits via another tale tell.<br />Pretty nifty kit, but it is the first one i've ever done, its solved icing problem but I have no way to refute this guys claim.<br />Thank's for your interest in my problem<br />http://www.mercurypartsexpress.com/PartsExpress/ProductSelection/Accessories/getProduct.asp?CID=169162187072236058276&lvlOneKey=35&sku=828155A+5&store=Accessories&compName=&compSKU =

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

I don't see a reason in the world that it should've changed carburetion at all. Did you sync the throttle plates when you reinstalled everything? Might he just be warming it up for long periods and burning the gas that way? Another possibility might be icing of the hull making it less efficient. Is the motor running well? Is the guy prone to gross exaggeration?<br /><br />Pull the plugs and have a look. If they're burning well ... if it was burning a lot of gas, it would show up there.

Kiekhaeferscurse

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi WillyBWright,<br />Boats coming back today will keep you posted.<br />Yep I resynched, engine was running well at an idle (no load) when it left shop.<br />This guy doesnt warm his engine up, he gets in it unties blasts across the bay (about 3 minutes run) then he has to slow down & go thru a no wake zone( thats when it would ICE up and stall off course).<br />The more I think about this the more I'm thinking he is after some free labour, but I am going to recheck Fuel Pump lines for leaks etc etc<br />Ahh Salt water here Willy, it doesnt really get that icy.<br />Thank's again, nice to chat with other ideas person.

Kiekhaeferscurse

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Dont know if your interested WBW, checked that engine out today, guys full of it.

phatmanmike

Captain

Dont know if your interested WBW, checked that engine out today, guys full of it. <br />
what exactly is " it " <br /><br />sounded like a stoopid story anyways, outboards dont just start using double the fuel.<br /><br />have an ice day