Prop

twag

Cadet
I'm looking for a alternate prop for my 2004 25hp Classic. Any suggestions for one that would give a higher top speed?<br /><br />Thanks

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: Prop

One with a higher pitch, maybe.<br /><br />Need to know current prop size, size andtype of boat, and current engine rpm's at full throttle.<br /><br />No matter what prop you go to, don't expect to pick up more than 2-3 mph.

twag

Cadet

I don't have a tach so I'm going by the owners manual which says it has WOT between 5000-6000rpm.The current prop size is 10 3/8 diameter, 13 RH pitch aluminum and it's on a 14ft aluminum v-bottom.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Its really hard to fine tune prop selection on small motors, because most do not have a tach.<br /><br />If you increase the pitch you could pick up a few mph, but your holeshot will suffer, making it difficult to get on plane. If you increase the pitch too much, it will drop your engine rpm down below the recommended, which will lug the engine, and can lead to fouling plugs also.<br /><br />If you decrease the pitch, you may or may not lose a couple mph, your holeshot would improve, but you run the risk of increasing your rpm to the point that you could over rev your engine.<br /><br />If you are having trouble getting up on plane, you definitely do not want to increase your pitch.<br /><br />If your holeshot is good, you could buy a prop with an increased pitch of one or two inches and give it a try. If it doesn't perform any better, atleast you will have a spare prop. Don't expect any great increase in speed.

twag

Cadet

I know it's difficult to fine tune without a tach and actually it isn't worth the money to get one on a boat like this. The hole shot is just fine with the 13 pitch so I may just go with a 14 as you suggested and try different trim angles. <br /><br />Trying to squeeze as much performance within reason out of this set up. Thanks for the input

RedNecker

Seaman Apprentice

SenDEC Tach/Hour Meter.<br /> <br /> The Tach/Hour meter is designed for all 2 and 4-stroke outboards. It's triggered from the spark plug wire, so no battery is required. <br /><br />It cost $39. Small LCD sealed meter. Good for 3 to 5 years.<br />I just installed one of these on my 25HP Merc. I stuck it on the front of the motor.

MOTION LINE

Seaman

Hey Twag,<br /><br />Quite simple, go and buy one of those Ballistic 13" props you will definetly pick up a few knots,<br />you can´t find a better prop for 25 hp. than this! Caution; Do not raise the engine!<br />Good for about 35 knots!

twag

Cadet

I'm considering the Ballistic 13 pitch SS. It has a slightly smaller diameter than my standard prop(10 1/8 vs 10 3/8) which already has a slight deformity on one of the blades even though I don't recall hitting anything.<br /><br />I may give it a try since it's SS, has cupped blades and is only $50 more than the OE prop.

twag

Cadet

RedNecker,thanks for the info. Let me/us know how that tach/hr meter works out.