Merc 7.5 horse Kicker...How long till it pees

Dom

Cadet
Hey guys. One quick question. I have a Merc 7.5 kicker, late 70's early 80's model. Does it normally take longer for them to pee than say a 115 Merc outboard? I trolled with it for about 3 minutes and even raised the rpm's a bit. It just drips. Wondering if I have to wait longer for thermostat to open. If so, wouldn't it be bad to let it run for that long until it pumps water?<br /><br />Thanks again.

AndyL

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Merc 7.5 horse Kicker...How long till it pees

I am not sure there is a thermostat on that model although I may be wrong. I would guess that your impeller needs replacing. I have a similar aged engine and have found that after about 2 years the impeller rubber seperates from the brass bushing so the bush rotates but the vanes don't. With a new impeller mine will pee well right from start up. Make sure you don't lose the key from the keyway if you are going to do the job yourself. Fiddly little thing!!<br /><br />Andy

dajohnson53

Lieutenant Commander

The telltale should be going strong within a couple of seconds. In my experience, the big and small motors don't have a real bunch of time difference for the water to start flowing. If your 7.5 is anything like the 60s/70s 9.8's I'm familiar with, it could be because the telltale tube is disconnected from the outlet in the lower cowling (in which case all the water would be flowing inside of the cowling), or it is clogged. Also likely is weak impeller like previous poster mentioned. You should change that anyway if it's been more than a couple of years, or if you're at all uncertain.<br /><br />Big ditto on the fiddly little key!

Dom

Cadet

Thanks...Decided to stick a peice of wire up the the little tube...and she Pees like there is no tomorrow!<br /><br />Watchout little fishies..here I come