Mysterious spark issue

myket1

Cadet
1992 90hsp mariner outboard 3 cylinder 2 stroke<br /><br />I have been experiencing some odd issues with this motor. I live on a lake and have been using this motor all summer. My problem has only occurred one time prior to this time. I will try to keep it short and to the point.<br />1. THURSDAY--Motor running fine<br />2. FRIDAY-- Motor cranks fine no spark<br />3. SATURDAY--- Motor starts and runs for 15 minutes, then I shut it off. Restarts immediately. 4 hours later, motor does not start, no spark again.<br /><br />The last time I had a spark issue was 4 months ago and the motor restarted 30 minutes later. It has never died when in use and had been very reliable. Plugs are clean and fuel is flowing fine. Does anyone have any idea why this situation would occur? I am running out of boating time and would appreciate any suggestions.<br /><br />Thanks,<br /><br />Mike

andrewkafp

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Mysterious spark issue

Sounds like something is loose.Have you checked all wires and connections ?

myket1

Cadet

As many as I can see. I appreciate your suggestion. I will double check and try to start it again. Wouldn't something loose be more chronic? The reason I ask is because the motor is vibrating and moving more when it is running. I would tend to think that if something was loose that it would be causing me constant problems. I was wondering if there could possibly be an issue with a componant in the electrical system that would exhibit this symptom? Like a regulator or stator. <br /><br />I appreciate your reply and will make sure that everything is tight and secure.<br /><br />Thanks again.

Hotrods

Petty Officer 1st Class

My evinrude had the same thing happening, ran great, then would not restart and had no spark.<br />Very sporatic.. then had spark...then no spark turned out to be a bad stator.<br /><br />So i do beleive these things die a slow death

myket1

Cadet

Thanks for all of the help. One more thing, I want to run some tests on the electrical system and I dont have anyone to help. Any ideas how I can rig up the ignition so that I cant start it from the motor while running tests??<br /><br />Thanks again,

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

To start and run the motor for testing, you can put on the water flush device, turn on the ignition key and use a piece of wire to energise the starting solenoid. If you connect the small, non ground terminal on the solenoid to the large cable that runs to the outboard's external harness, the starter will spin, and hopefully the motor will start.

Laddies

Banned

the mercury and mariner 87 and newer large bore 3 cyl have a lot of stator problems and act like the problem your having

myket1

Cadet

Thanks to all of you that have replied. I am going to run some tests and see what I find. I will check back with the results.<br /><br />Thanks again,<br /><br />I have learned a lot from this forum!

outboard tech

Seaman Apprentice

Stators have coil windings and are susseptable to heat related failure--the windings can open or short to ground when hot, and close and function when cool.Your motor is about at the life expectancy of the stator and switch box; they should be changed even if not the problem if you intend to keep it. Both components can be checked with a peak reading voltmeter--the resistance test is worthless (because of the temperature issue.

outboard tech

Seaman Apprentice

Stators have coil windings and are susseptable to heat related failure--the windings can open or short to ground when hot, and close and function when cool.Your motor is about at the life expectancy of the stator and switch box; they should be changed even if not the problem if you intend to keep it. Both components can be checked with a peak reading voltmeter--the resistance test is worthless (because of the temperature issue.

myket1

Cadet

Thanks,<br /><br />You have really helped me make up my mind. I have been going back and forth between the switchbox and stator and was nervous about picking one over the other. I do intend to keep it so I will replace both after reading your post.<br /><br />Thanks again to everyone for their feed back.