15 hp mercury first try

aalleexx

Seaman Apprentice
Hi -<br />I just bought a mercury, but i don't know if it's a 9.9 or a 15. the owner said it's a 15, but I want to make sure it is..also ....what is the gas/oil mixture?<br />and most important.....WHERE IS THE PEE HOLE? can't find it anywhere.<br />I am used to my 15hp evinrude....and it's always worked really good, - this is the first time i'm using this merc....any suggestions?<br /><br />arod-

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: 15 hp mercury first try

If the former owner says it's a 15 and the sticker on the hood says it's a 15, then it should be a 15. If the customer says it's a 15 and the sticker on the hood says it's a 9.9, then it Isn't a 15. Some people are under the impression that simply putting a 15 carb on a 9.9 makes it a 15. NOT!<br /><br />Premix ratio is 50:1. The pee hole is on the rear starboard corner. On those (especially if it's a 15) they'll only pee when the thermostat opens up. All 15s have thermastats. Many 9.9s came without, but not all.

aalleexx

Seaman Apprentice

so watr only comes out when the motor is not? -

aalleexx

Seaman Apprentice

I mean to say: does water only come out of the pee hole when the motor is hot?<br />what if the themostat is bad?<br />or does water come out all the time

UpstNYer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

aalleexx:<br />I've got a 9.9 with a thermostat. Water appears at the pee-hole within 10 seconds of startup when cold...usually more like 6 or 7 seconds. Once water is flowing, flow is a little uneven at idle speeds. Thought impellor had a problem but it behaves the same with a new one.<br /><br />This engine idles far better than the 9.9s I own that don't have a thermostat. It's a joy to troll with. The others "pee" immediately on startup and the flow at idle is steady.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

That's the rub on those telltales. They don't pee as soon as you start them. So how do you know if they're pumping? Unfortunately you just have to wait until the thermostat opens. If you want, you can drill a tiny hole in the flange of the thermostat to let some water thru there whether it's open or not. It won't interfere significantly with the cooling of the motor, and you'll get a pee stream any time the motor is running although it'll be weak until the thermoatat opens.

aalleexx

Seaman Apprentice

well - the motor is good because it had been sitting for a year and it cracnked with the second pull - but it never peed....even tho i keept it running for like 20 seconds...then it got really hot so i shut it off....any suggestions-<br />where is the impellor on this motor?<br />where is the thermostat?<br />would it be possible to get rid of the thermostat and just have the impellor drive water thru the engine?<br /><br />please help

D

DJ

The impeller is on top of the lower unit where it connects to, the exhaust tower. You have to remove the lower unit to replace the impeller.<br /><br />DO NOT remove the thermostat, it is there for a reason.<br /><br />You need one of these. Best $30.00 you will EVER spend.<br /><br /><br /> http://www.outboardrepairs.com/manuals/

achris

More fish than mountain goat

it had been sitting for a year
Change the impeller (at the top of the gear housing) and the gear oil.<br /><br />Chris........

ehenry

Commander

CHange your impellor put ya some fresh 50:1 mixed gas in along with some SeaFoam mixed in for good measure and run her like ya stole her. The thermostat already has a small bypass hole to let water come through so you can see that the pump is working. Check your tell-tale for any obstructions. Small bugs love to build nests in the tell-tale tube.