How many bolts to remove lower unit on 75' 20 hp?

boatster

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: How many bolts to remove lower unit on 75' 20 hp?

Keithy, thanks for the positive reinforcement. I'm not quite done just yet.<br /><br />Chinewalker, once again, very good suggestion. THank you. I was actually thinking of making an access to the impeller housing mounting bolts so I can free the driveshaft from the lower housing. Since my experience is from working on a Evinrude 9.9 I assume Once the impeller housing is free the driveshaft can come out of the lower unit? <br /><br />Well that in anycase I drilled an access hole in the exhaust housing and sprayed some penetrating oil on the driveshaft. I hope that does the trick. <br /><br />Once again thanks all for the ideas/support. I will keep you posted. <br /><br />Adam

steviecops

Chief Petty Officer

Sorry to butt in again, but as i said earlier, I'm about to attempt the same job on my engine. I need to know the age, and whether or not mine has a SS drive shaft.<br />The serial number of my engine is 9037278.<br /><br />Thanks<br />Steve

boatster

Petty Officer 1st Class

I just made access to the impeller housing by cutting into the sides of the exhaust housing and removed all four bolts on the housing. The drive shaft won't come out of the lower unit still. Do I have to go into the lower unit gearcase to get the driveshaft to come out? I want to get the exhaust body off so I can get to where the driveshaft meets the powerhead. I'm completely scrapping the exhaust housing because I think I've found someone who might be able to sell me theirs. Thanks again.<br /><br />Adam

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Hi Boatster,<br /> Yes, the driveshaft is actually BOLTED to the pinion gear, so it will not simply pull out like a small Johnrude. You have to remove the rear carrier, propshaft assembly to access the bolt on the end of the driveshaft. You've getting in deep, now.... Just remember what I said about the gearcases - not as common as the rest of the parts, so go slowly and if you think you might break something, stop before you do break something...<br />- Scott

boatster

Petty Officer 1st Class

Chinewalker,<br /><br />do I need a special tool to get the gearcase guts and shaft out? From what I see there is a big circular threaded cross thing which appears to require a special tool. Any tricks to getting that off with regular tools?<br /><br />I'm alllllmooooost there.......<br /><br />Adam<br /><br />EDIT/UPDATE: Ok I'm gonna have to get someone to remove that cross axle housing thing because it looks way to tight to remove any other way. Also I managed to find someone who will sell their whole midsection to me for real cheap so I may be able to salvage this thing yet. More updates to come. Thanks again.

merc_500

Seaman

lol. this must be a pain for you. i've been there aswell, most frustrating thing in the world when one thing is holding everything up. <br /><br />i say pull out the sledge and pound the Sh!t out of it.

andrewkafp

Lieutenant Commander

Don't cut anything.. Just Wedge it and whack it.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Steve,<br /><br />If your engine is also a 20 hp it was built around 1973-4 in Belgium. That's about the time they changed from mild steel to stainless. So it could be either.<br /><br />Chris.........

andrewkafp

Lieutenant Commander

Achris.. I think it was 1978 :rolleyes:

Keith Buchanan

Petty Officer 1st Class

Beat the crap out of it...It took me three weeks to show it who was boss.. It will come eventually so don't cut anything.

boatster

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok I am completely through with this motor. I can't even begin to describe the amount of effort I went through to break the driveshaft free. The end result: I cut the midsection to bits and eventually cut the driveshaft in half. Got to the powerhead and driveshaft connection and the thing is literally bonded. It looks like there used to be a rubber seal that goes around the mating for the driveshaft spline and powerhead but that was literally encrusted with rust so much so that it expanded to a bulb. So now I have a lower unit with half a driveshaft. A midsection thats cut into 3 pieces and a powerhead with a stuck half driveshaft!!! Project complete! :mad: :rolleyes:

achris

Burial at sea?

boatster

Petty Officer 1st Class

Originally posted by achris60:<br /> Burial at sea?
haha.. or pummel by sledge hammer! :D

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Hi Boatster - All is not yet lost! You've established this much - the powerhead runs! The lower unit worked fine, just needed an impeller. <br /><br />Okay, now grind the driveshaft stub in the crankshaft down almost flush. Drill a hole dead center using a 1/4" drill bit. Drill the hole out in progressively larger increments until you start to see evidence of the splines. Using a small punch, clean out the splines driveshaft to reveal the crankshaft splines. Now all you need is a mid-section and a driveshaft.<br /><br />If you have given up on it, I may be interested in the remains...<br /><br />- Scott (csr112-n@prodigy.net)

boatster

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi Chinewalker,<br /><br />you've been great help, I really appreciate it. <br />I actually haven't given up completely. What you suggest was what I was actually going to do, especially given that this isn't stainless steel. Like I said before I have a donor midsection. All I need is the driveshaft. Should be a few of those floating around. Thing is this motor starts and runs so well, I can't bring up the nerve to let it go! :) . If I do give up I'll fire an e-mail your way. Thanks.<br /><br />Adam

steviecops

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for the year of my engine achris60. It isn't looking good for me is it?<br /><br />Please keep posting boatster. This has become compulsive reading and I want to hear that your engine is running again soon.<br /><br />Good luckSteve

achris

Steve,<br /><br />How good it looks depends on a couple of things. How long ago the leg was pulled off and how good quality the grease (if any) was used on re-assembly. Don't give up on it just yet.<br /><br />We're all here for you. ;) <br /><br />Chris............<br /><br />P.S. When you start on yours, start a new topic. This one is starting to get a bit long......

Merc805

Petty Officer 1st Class

Boatster.<br />I reckon you may have panicked and started cutting too soon. Consistant belting and wedges seems to eventually break them off.<br />Oh well.. what's done is done. :rolleyes:

boatster

Petty Officer 1st Class

No. Trust me this thing is fused in there. I'm gonna hafta drill it out like Chinewalker explained. I'm still deciding the cost/benefit to continuing this whole project. Once finalized I will give either postmortem analysis or news of Franken20hpsteins revival. We'll see.

Merc805

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey joe... Where you goin with that gun in your hand ???<br />Goin' down to kill my old Merc ... :D :D