Trim and tilt problem 85' Merc 175

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I've rebuilt the cylinders and replaced all the o-rings on the unit and it still leaks down on me. Now what? The only thing I can thin k of is the pump and there is no rebuild kit avaiable taht I can find.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: Trim and tilt problem 85' Merc 175

dingbat,<br /><br />Does your engine have the trim system, in its entirety, mounted between the transom brackets on the engine, or does it have a seperate trim pump and reservior mounted inside the boat? Does it leak down from the tilt position onto the trim rods and stop, or does it go down all the way?<br /><br />Chris.............

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

It's the all-in one Design 2 system tucked up under the transom brackets. <br /><br />When it comes down it even collapes the trim cyliders. I'd say it typically takes anywhere from 8-10 minutes to leak down all the way.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Had one doing exactly that about 2 weeks ago. Turned out to be the relief valve in the port trim ram. It's in the piston on that side. It's designed to relieve at the full up position, to stop 'over-pressuring' the system. If it's not that, then the trim pump needs relacing.<br /><br />Good luck and keep us posted.<br /><br />Chris...........