2002 125 mercury steering

5string

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have seen all the posts about the steering rod being frozen in the tilt tube, which is my problem. I took the cable loose and unbolted the arm on oposite side. I was able to tap it in but there is nothing to tap it back the other way? Also, what holds the cable to the rod, when I loosened the nut at the end of the cable where it conects to the tilt tube , I was able to turn the wheel left and the whole cable moved but the other side where it bolts to the arm is still frozen? That tells me it came unconnected inside the tube or it is broken?

OFF_SHORE

Recruit
Re: 2002 125 mercury steering

Any update on the situation? I have the same problem and could use some first hand info. I can't figure out the problem either so any help would be greatly appreciated.<br />Thanks

MURX

Petty Officer 2nd Class

guys, how did you make out? shop can't take mine for<br />three weeks gotta fish

hondon

Lieutenant Commander

The engine end of that steering cable is a telescoping rod with the large end attached to the tie bar and the small end at the large nut at the tilt tube.The large end is a tight fit inside that tilt tube and most outboards use only steel for that tubes construction so when corrosion happens inside that tube it chokes the movement of the large end of your cable.Frozen steering.Disconnect the tie bar and the large nut and with a SOFT AND I MEAN SOFT ,hammer give the tie bar end of that cable a few hardy smacks and see what happens.No access to do this ? Sometimes you need to pull the engine off to fix this.

MURX

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just took another gander at it........<br />tried persuading it with a block of hardwood, and a hammer NO GO! where should I put the dynamite?

MURX

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Should I just cut the cable and try to drive the <br />remnants starboard to port?<br /><br />Do the big black nuts have to be removed to <br />drive the cable or rod out of the tube

MURX

Petty Officer 2nd Class

So where does the dynamite go

Gutz

Cadet

DID I FIX IT - Or did I break it?

MURX:

I'm no mechanic - but I recently had to deal with this same problem on my old 120 O/B before going out.

I loosened the big black nut and "hit" the other end with the big rubber hammer while dripping 3in1 oil on the exposed part of the rod. At first, I got nowhere, then I decided to use the steering wheel (and a buddy) and a "bigger" hammer...

Good News: The rod finally came free and I was able to lube it up and go fish....

Bad News: After performing this emergency surgery I created a bad spot dead center in the wheel (where the rod was originally stuck) when turning hard across the middle...I get nothing for second... then it catches and steers normal. This occurs steering in either direction at any speed only at dead center.

QUESTION for the real Mech's out there: Is my steering on borrowed time or is this a minor nuisance I'll have to live with?

Thanks for your replies

CAPTWAYNE

Recruit

DID I FIX IT - Or did I break it?

MURX:

I'm no mechanic - but I recently had to deal with this same problem on my old 120 O/B before going out.

I loosened the big black nut and "hit" the other end with the big rubber hammer while dripping 3in1 oil on the exposed part of the rod. At first, I got nowhere, then I decided to use the steering wheel (and a buddy) and a "bigger" hammer...

Good News: The rod finally came free and I was able to lube it up and go fish....

Bad News: After performing this emergency surgery I created a bad spot dead center in the wheel (where the rod was originally stuck) when turning hard across the middle...I get nothing for second... then it catches and steers normal. This occurs steering in either direction at any speed only at dead center.

QUESTION for the real Mech's out there: Is my steering on borrowed time or is this a minor nuisance I'll have to live with?

Thanks for your replies

Hate to say it but its gonna need replaced! (Had this problems a couple times with my Trophy untill Iput the grease nut on it). Quick easy remedy for this problem in the future is a Seachoice Steering Guard (PN:28251 or 28261) best 26.00 you'll ever spend! It will allow you to keep moisture out and grease in.
"Tight Lines"
Capt Wayne
Tuff Enuff Charters
Va Beach, Va