Who uses a gasoline flowmeter....NEW INFO ON NAVMAN

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Re: Who uses a gasoline flowmeter....NEW INFO ON NAVMAN

Bryant, I'm confused. All the info on the Navman fuel 2100 shows that the minimum registry is 1.4 gph. Maybe I am misunderstanding what they mean. Also I thought the 35 gph scale was way over what the 5.0/5.7 would use even under full throttle.<br /><br />Using one of these, what say you about these issues? <br /><br />There was a 0-32 gph system (I think Floscan) on ebay where the guy said he was trading for a 0-10 gph system. He didn't say what motor he had but I think a 0-20 or 25 scale would be better for these engines.

bryantjb3

Seaman Apprentice

I considered the floscan also when I was looking. I suppose the different flow scales they have should make them more accurate, but the Navman is plenty accurate for a lot less price. As I said at idle it shows about .7 and goes to 1.6 at 1000rpm. If I remember right at WOT around 17gph and 4200 rpm. What engine are you installing on? Remember with the floscan you do need to install a seperate toggle switch for resetting.

coleman kayak1

Petty Officer 1st Class

I really have no use as my main system is paddle. But when I get a boat, flowmeter is the way I'll go

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by bryantjb3:<br /> I considered the floscan also when I was looking. I suppose the different flow scales they have should make them more accurate, but the Navman is plenty accurate for a lot less price. As I said at idle it shows about .7 and goes to 1.6 at 1000rpm. If I remember right at WOT around 17gph and 4200 rpm. What engine are you installing on? Remember with the floscan you do need to install a seperate toggle switch for resetting.
I like the fact that you don't have to install a seperate toggle switch. I also like that the Navman is a 2" guage, not a 3"+ guage.<br /><br />My motor is about a 225 hp 302/5.0L. It is a 2001 roller cam motor w/ roller rockers, with 9 to 1 compression, GT40P heads, with a pre smog '69 351 windsor cam, 4 bbl Holley on an Edelbrock Performer intake manifold.<br /><br />Back to my original question, how can you register .7 gph when they say that the minimum flow is 1.4 gph??<br /><br />
DSCF0777.jpg

bryantjb3

Seaman Apprentice

Don't know but I wish it would read that low all the time! :D <br /><br />I remember seeing your engine in one of your other post now. She's going to be a beauty when you finish.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

I just spoke with Navman tech to find out things that were not posted anywhere, such as length of supplied cable, physical size of the fuel meter and the discrepancy between minimum advertised fuel flow rate (1.4 gph) and bryants experience of showing .7 gph at idle.<br /><br />Incredibly, they told me that the life expectancy of the fuel transducer (fuel meter) was only 1000 US gallons (5000 litres). That is preposterous. That is only 33 tanks full of gas. The list price for a replacement is about the same price as buying the whole kit.<br /><br />Now unlike in the past it would take me awhile to run 33 tanks of gas thru the boat but I don't know about this issue. :eek: :mad:

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

Floscan.... you get what you pay for..... >says the little voice in yo head<.... :cool:

amirm

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I don't remember the number but I am pretty sure I have heard that floscans also have limitted life. <br /><br />Did they elaborate on what goes wrong with them? I imagine the optical pick up side has nothing that can go bad, making me think it is the wheel that might go bad. Question is whether it gets stuck or something else....<br /><br />Amir

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by amir:<br /> I don't remember the number but I am pretty sure I have heard that floscans also have limitted life. <br /><br />Did they elaborate on what goes wrong with them? I imagine the optical pick up side has nothing that can go bad, making me think it is the wheel that might go bad. Question is whether it gets stuck or something else....<br /><br />Amir
They said it was a turbine that runs on a jeweled pivot. Maybe gas is errosive on these things. I've used plastic/nylon 3/4" hall effect turbines, running in water for years with no wear.<br /><br />Maybe I'll call floscan and ask about theirs.