Mercury Prop

flburgher

Recruit
I need to change my prop on a 50hp merc. outboard. never done this before. I took off the big nut but can not get the prop to come off, is there some kind of secret to this? I'm new at this so please be gentle.

flburgher

Recruit
Re: Mercury Prop

Also could you tell me what year this is the only # I see on it is 60785?

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Yeah, those props can be a bear to get off if they are seized on the propshaft. They need to have anti-seize compound put on the shaft when you put it on next time and it will slide right off. Depending on how bad it's on there, you may be able to tilt the motor all the way up and shoot some PB Blaster at the propshaft and let it sit overnight and try it again. You can get this at NAPA auto parts stores. If you can't get that, get a good penetrating oil (Not WD 40) and use that. If worse comes to worse, you will have to cut it off, but since you are going to change it out anyway, it's no big deal if you trash it getting it off. You might also try heating just the prop hub (Not the shaft) with a propane torch after you lubricate it. It will expand and hopefully slide off. Not too much heat or you will mess up the propshaft seal. Let us know how you are progressing. One more thing, don't beat on it too hard, or you may bend the propshaft(Not good). But a little tapping all around the prop hub may do the trick

Prospector

Cadet

Do not heat the prop for removal - you could cook output shaft rubber seal or "O" ring