135 merc water issue

mulacek

Cadet
I hooked the motor up to muffs and ran it today with fresh premixed gas and new plugs. I had bypassed the oil module as suggested in previous posts and it seemed to work fine (ie, no warning horn)<br /><br />Now I find that I have 2 water leaks. There is a small port right behind the flywheel that appears to have had previously some sort of small tube attached to it (It's gone now). it looks like it has an approximately 1/8" inside diameter. There is another opening of about the same size that is right below the switchboxes in the center of some plate. Are these 2 related or should they be connected to each other? There is no hose boss on the lower one, it appears to be sheared off flush. I may also be detecting some sign of some sort of sealer at this location - maybe a past repair attempt. I have no idea of what the significance of these 2 ports are for, but they may have been putting water on my electricals that could have been affecting or causing my previous rough running experience.<br /><br />Any more help is greatly appreciated.

dogsdad

Lieutenant
Re: 135 merc water issue

Mulacek, my motor is a 1991 135-horse, so I think it's very similar to yours. By the way you describe things, it sounds like someone has eliminated the poppet valve. The valve is locted in a small plate in the side of the block just below the switchboxes, and there should be a hose going from it to a fitting on top of the motor behind the flywheel as you described.<br /><br />Hope this helps!<br /><br />-dd-

KCLOST

Commander

I believe those two leaks are NOT related to each other....<br /><br />The lower leak just below the switchboxes has got to be the poppet valve. Most likely due to a faulty diaphram causing water to leak through and out of the relief valve cover (where the hole is). If you see water coming out of it, it's time to service the poppet valve, via replacement of the diaphram, gaskets, grommet, etc.<br /><br />The other leak at the top of the block "could" be coming from the water jacket plug at the top of the block. It should be exactly where your leak is. It is approx. 3/4" in diameter. Or it could be a fitting instead used for a water pressure line that would go to a guage. If the leak is not coming from the plug location, it may be a secondary hole drilled previously for a fitting to hold the water pressure line. <br />Regardless of what it is, it does not connect to the poppet. I would just plug it, or go ahead and invest in a water pressure guage and hook the line up to that upper port.

bluebyyou

Seaman Apprentice

I have the same motor and will be going to the lake this weekend. If you'd like I can take a pic. of the tubing on the back of the engine. Let me know.

mulacek

Cadet

That would be great. Does anybody know where to go to get those parts the cheapest?

KCLOST

Commander

Ok,<br />I need your serial number for your motor....<br /><br />I still don't think they should be connected, I don't see the reason why they would... <br />You could have a different set-up than the prints I checked, that is why I would like to know what the serial number is...

dogsdad

Lieutenant

Having blinked since I looked at my motor last, I thought maybe I was mistaken about the connection of the poppet valve hose. Not so. It is exactly as I described. The outlet of the poppet goes to a fitting on the top of the block just aft of the flywheel cover and just forward of the voltage regulator. I would assume that this dumps the poppet flow into the exhaust. I would agree with KCLOST that there should be no water leaks at the fitting on top of the block (except the possibility that water simply gets blown around in that chamber and some is finding its way out that fitting??).<br /><br />-dd-

bluebyyou

Seaman Apprentice

I have pix of my '88 135. I couldn't really figure out how to post them. I need some Computer Geek directions. By the way I've only had my motor a few months and today I got the intermittant oil warning horn you were talking about. It went away when I stopped the motor and topped the engine mounted resevoir to the top. Is this pretty common on this motor?

KCLOST

Commander

I'd really like to see a pic of that fitting at the top of the block...<br /><br />Thanks for your response Dogsdad...<br />I have not seen that before... <br /><br />That fitting must be where the water jacket plug was... If it is, I still don't understand why they are connected, as the poppet excess would immediately leave the block through the exhaust and wouldn't need a hose to do so... <br /><br />I guess we all learn something new everyday...<br />Please do your best guys to post some pics...<br /><br />I do know that you have to post the pics on a the web first before trying to use the IMAGE ubb code feature on this board... Good luck...

bluebyyou

Seaman Apprentice

I can't figure out how to post the pix, but I'll be glad to e-mail them to you if you want.

CU2NITE

Petty Officer 1st Class

Mulacek<br />These two leaks are related! There should have been a small tube that connected from the poppet to the area at top center at the back of the motor. This is an after market part used to relieve presure(actually air) from the top of the water jacket. If I remember right your poppet looks like two circles connected together one larger than the other, and the smaller one has the outlet where the tube should be. Reconnect and go fishing. Good luck and let us know.<br />CU<br /><br />--------------------<br />RUNNING THE MOTOR WHILE LISTENING TO THE HORN WILL MAKE YOU MORN!!

mulacek

Cadet

Everyone has given a lot of info. I have not been able to spend any time with it as the wife had other plans for my weekend :-( I don't have a website to post pics to but could e-mail them for any interested. I did take the poppet assembly apart and it appeared to have a hole in the diaphram. My motor appears to have only the larger poppet valve plate with the smaller circle next to it present but plugged. Some diagrams I've seen appear to have an option that includes a single plate that covers both circular areas.

KCLOST

Commander

CU, comes in with the answer....<br /><br />I would replace the diaphram, obviously and check with your marine dealer to determine what you need to get everything hooked up again... <br />It sounds like, you don't have the normal (stock) poppet cover/plate so keep that in mine when you ask.<br /><br />Good luck and let us know.....