140 hp cuts out above medium speed

MercNdude

Cadet
I have a Merc 1400 inline 6 that cuts out as I try to go from medium to high speed. Shuts down like it isn't getting fuel. If I pump the bulb and choke it, it starts up and I can go again. Also, once it starts, it jumps into forward immediately. Probably unrelated to the cut-out trubs.<br /><br />Thanks in advance!

Spidybot

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 140 hp cuts out above medium speed

Does it fail even if you squeeze the bulb just before and during the attempt to add throtttle?<br /><br />By doing this you act as fuel-pump-helper so if it solves the problem, your fuel supply/pump needs fixing or you may have a leak/block on the fuel line.

MercNdude

Cadet

Thanks, UU. I'll check that out. Any idea why it should "pop" into fwd gear as soon as it starts? It did it every time I started it. It jumps in hard. I spilled a fine cup o java with the jolt. :eek:

Spidybot

Lieutenant Commander

By sheer logic, the shift linkage should be held in place (F-N-R) once put there. If this holding feature it not working, only the remote holds the gears in place. If not 100% tight adjusted, this wont work and the gear mechanism will go it's own ways.<br /><br />So: Look over the shift linkage, especially those hold-in-place spring loaded parts.