HARD STARTING 150 BLACK MAX XR4 V-6

CDRISSEN

Cadet
I HAVE A 18' 1988 BAKER WITH A 150 MERC BLACK MAX AND IM NEW TO OUTBOARDS, BUT WHAT THE HECK AM I DOING WRONG? THIS THING TAKES 3-5 MINUTES OF CRANKING BEFORE THE DANG THING STARTS. I PUSHED THE KEY IN FOR THE CHOKE FOR 5-10 SECONDS AND IM STILL HAVING A HARD TIME STARTING. ONCE IT STARTS AND WARMS UP, I DONT HAVE THE PROBLEM ANYMORE. SHOULD I PUMP THE TROTTLE A COUPLE OF TIMES BEFORE STARTING? OR SHOULD THE LEVER ON TOP OF THE THROTTLE BOX BE LIFTED UP? IT SAYS "LIFT FOR HIGHER IDLE" ON IT. AND IF I CRANK THE ENGINE FOR A LONG PERIOD OF TIME, THE THROTTLE BOX HAS A CONTINUOUS BEEPING. WHAT DOES THAT MEAN??<br />COULD USE SOME HELPFUL INFO. :confused:

Spidybot

Lieutenant Commander
Re: HARD STARTING 150 BLACK MAX XR4 V-6

Welcome here, Bad Bear!<br /><br />First of all you should hit your Caps Lock key.<br />Writing in capitals is considered SHOUTING!<br /><br />Next you should do a search in the Merc & Mariner forum for 'start cold 150' .<br /><br />Returns 64 hits and tells you all about it.

KCLOST

Commander

Pump the fuel line primer bulb until FIRM...(this is probably what you are not doing)<br />Set the throttle lever/arm at fast idle position (of couse in neutral).<br />Turn the key while at the same time pushing in the choke.. <br />When it fires release the choke, and immediately after advace the throttle to get it running....<br /><br />Don't let the starter run more than 10 seconds at a time, by the way. I don't want you to burn it up...<br /><br />Good luck... This should work, but check your manual. If you don't have one, get one..

JoeW

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Also, make sure the engine is trimed all the way down so that any fuel runs down into the carbs and not out of the carbs.

Josh Knapp

Cadet

bear does your motor have an actual choke or does it have an enrichener valve? if it has an enrichener valve it will only put one shot of gas into the motor each time you press the key in. on the older mercs that have the enrichener I normally press the key in about ten time before I try to start the motor. then I try if it doesnt work I press the key repetedly while cranking till it does start. also make sure the primer bulb is pumped up as stated before. if it has a regular choke hold the key in while cranking<br />(as stated before). normally works for me. <br /><br />josh

robalofish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I posted this a while back it works fo me every time.<br /><br />This engine is a beast to start here's what works for me. I’ve become an expert on this after several times at the dock learning the hard way....<br /><br />1) Tilt engine all the way down.<br />2) Pump the fuel bulb until firm you will feel the resistance build as the floats cut off the fuel to the carbs. <br />3) Make sure engine is in neutral and pull the throttle advance out but do not advance. I found this is important as with the throttles open the fuel wont be pulled into the engine as well.<br />** Some people have said to advance throttle I have had good luck with no advance here**<br />4) Turn the key to on.<br />5) Press and hold the choke (mines in the key) and count to 10 <br />6) While keeping the choke pressed turn the key to start.<br />7) Engine will kick off. *** release choke here ***<br />8) Be prepared to give the engine quick jabs of the choke if it appears to be dying.<br />9) After about 10-15 seconds of careful monitoring the engine you can relax on the choke.<br />10) Check for cooling stream while it’s warming up.<br />11) Go fishing.<br /><br />Good luck

LubeDude

Admiral

RabaloFisk: What does this do?<br /><br />"5) Press and hold the choke (mines in the key) and count to 10".

robalofish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If his engine has an enrichment valve which I believe was mentioned earlier. This will allow the fuel to flow from the top carburetor bowl to the center and lower carburetor prime ports. If he has a mechanical butterfly type choke it will do nothing to help the engine start.

LubeDude

Admiral

HMMM, You learn something new every day. I have an enrichment system and have never done this, but my motor starts easily with just pushing in the choke after pumping the bulb hard.

robalofish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

From the Mercury manual --<br /><br />The enrichener system provides the engine with a rich fuel charge for starting ease of a cold engine. The system consists of an electrically operated enrichener valve, which is connected by hoses to the carburetors. Fuel is gravity fed to the valve from the float bowl of the top carburetor via a hose. When the key (or choke button) is pushed in (and held in) current is sent to the valve causing it to open, which allows fuel to pass thru. The fuel passes thru a hose and is supplied to the engine via fittings located on top of the middle and bottom carburetors. When the key (or choke button) is released, the valve will return to the closed position. The valve can be operated manually if valve fails to operate electrically, refer to "Manual Operation of Enrichment Valve," <br /><br />Note: this is for a 1994 200hp carbureted model I'm still not sure if this is what BAD BEAR has.<br /><br />I he hasn't got the enrichment valve maybe this will help someone else.

Merc805

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you have an electric choke, make sure the butterflies are fully closed, otherwise it will be hard to start cold.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Try all the above, but make sure the Enrichment Valve is actually working. Do you here a "Click" when you push the key?

CDRISSEN

Cadet

Originally posted by UU:<br />Welcome here, Bad Bear!<br /><br />First of all you should hit your Caps Lock key.<br />Writing in capitals is considered SHOUTING!<br /><br />Next you should do a search in the Merc & Mariner forum for 'start cold 150' .<br /><br />Returns 64 hits and tells you all about it.

CDRISSEN

Cadet

Where is the throttle advance? my throttle control unit is made by quiksilver. usually there is a knob that you pull out and you can increase the rpms without it being in gear, correct? I cant find anything like it anywhere on the unit.

robalofish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Is it a single lever control? If so there should be a black cap at the center of the throttle/gear lever when you push this in it will allow the lever to move just the throttle and not shift the engine.<br /><br />You just need to move it a small amount.