1983 80 HP lower unit question!!!!! Help

Forceluver

Seaman Apprentice
I removed the lower unit as the book describes, with the throttle in the foward postion.<br /> Problem is I can not get it to snug back up, It feels like I'm having trouble with the lower shift shaft for it is grooved, I'm thinking maybe I'm not centered with the female connection it goes into. But my other concern is that the reverse cam lock has moved around a bit and I'm not sure if its proper postion. The cam can spin a total of 360 degrees. Seeing how the contol is all the way foward maybe the lower shift shaft should be turned all the way in either direction. Thats what I do not know.<br /><br /> Please help, The fish are coming soon.<br /><br /> This might be a better way to explain,<br /> I'm just hoping there is a default postion for the shift shaft seeing how the throttle is in the forward postion. For example Since I'm in forward maybe the shift shaft should be all the way clockwise or counter clockwise. Cause it does stop either way when turninng a few revaloutions. <br /><br />Scott

Paul Gutkowski

Recruit
Re: 1983 80 HP lower unit question!!!!! Help

You fail to mention how old this unit is? Assuming it's the older four cylinder, Merc 800 series, Thunderbolt ignition type, t6he reverse lock cam should be rotated all the way clockwise until it stops. You should be able to feel the detents and be able to check the motion of the prop/driveshaft at each location (FNR). Otherwise, it is possible that either the O ring or other components could belodged in the crankshaft or water tube inhibiting installation.

Forceluver

Seaman Apprentice

I'm sorry about that It is a 1983 80 hp 4 cyl.<br /><br />You said clockwise, does that coinside with the fact the shifter is in the forward gear?

Forceluver

Seaman Apprentice

Ok this is what I got, Everything is together (whew) when the controls are forward the prop is able to spin to the right and not the left, when It in reverse the prop can not spin freely in either direction. The motor is off during this test.<br />Scott