removing lower unit to change impeller

laughingbass

Cadet
1997 Mercury tracker marine 115hp serial OG556411. I bought the book from Clymer and followed instructions. I removed prop, trim tab, four bolts (two on each side) and one bolt behind the trim tab. Also shifted gear Forward as book says. The lower unit still will not budge. Is this thing welded on or glued. The book also repeated info for steps 6 and 7 which said to remove 4 bolts (2 on each side) and one bolt underneath behind trim tab. That confuses me. I suppose that was a printing mistake. Does it take four people to pull off the lower unit.

ob

Admiral
Re: removing lower unit to change impeller

Shift linkage disconnected?Edit: don't think you have linkage to disconnect.If the joint won't crack loose ,you may have to use some pentetrant and wrap on it with a hammer and block of wood just below the seam joint.

laughingbass

Cadet

Manual says nothing about disconnecting shift linkage

DHPMARINE

Captain

laughingbass, I took a peek at the parts book for your engine and didn't see anymore bolts than what you have removed.Shift shaft is not an issue on your engine.There are two dowel pins that line up your gearcase.I'd try splitting the case off,by tapping a sharp blade between the housings.I use an old kitchen knife.Eye protection a BIG MUST.If you can get a little space at the front,try at the back.The word here is be gentle.I think this will work for you.<br />DHP

laughingbass

Cadet

Thanks for your help, was able to get lower unit off. Although impeller looked ok to me. Put on new one, but lower unit will not go up all the way. About an inch or inch and a half to go. All bolts line up. Any ideas.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Rotate the flywheel or prop while pushing up. You may need a helper for this(Wife will work)...

Kev_03

Seaman Apprentice

laughingbass,<br /><br />Did you get this sorted. RB was spot on, just rotate the fly wheel. I used the prop as the wife wouldn't help coz "it was too cold outside" :D :D

laughingbass

Cadet

I will give it another try tomorrow. I will try turning the prop, since I am not sure where the flywheel is located. I'm a newbie to outboard repair.

ob

Admiral

The flywheel is the round thang on top of the motor with teeth all around that the starter motor engages on.

profish00

Petty Officer 3rd Class

you should have put it in reverse....lol... but what needs to happen now is get a friend (a big one ) to hold pressure on the lower unit at the 1 1/2 inch were it stops, and get some chanelocks to rotate the shaft in the space to line up the gearing and it will suck right up.<br /><br />If you put it in reverse before you take it apart you can then turn the prop to line it up.<br /><br />Please correct me if Im wrong