1965 merc 900 Wont start

Re: 1965 merc 900 Wont start

So it is a 90 hp?or a 100 hp? and what do you mean by strangled by smll carbs.Oh yeah,did you get the actual year.?.. and would it be ok to run this engine for an hour or so in water and antifreeze? : :confused:

Clams Canino

Commander

To make a 90 they used the 89ci merc 1000 block with a restricted intake. Yes, I got that it's a 1965. And you have the 90.<br /><br />No reaon you can't run it with enough water to keep it peeing, just don't rev it past a fast idle.<br />-W

catmania

Seaman

Sorry to jump in on this interesting thread. But what is the difference between "the plain vanilla Mercs" and a SS merc?<br />I have a 950 SS, made only in 1966 I believe.

NEECAPRS

Petty Officer 2nd Class

CAT; The SS models were Merc's first venture into solid state ignition. They have $pecial Merc-made coil assemblies with a matching switchbox assembly.<br />The serial number Mom put on is much newer than my 1965 which is 1518292. :)

hey,im back i just had to ask what you guys thought of these motors,Reliabilty and performance.I know this one is amazingly quiet,hard to believe it is a two stroke.. :D

catmania

Seaman

Mom, they are good engines since I got my timing troubles figured out, my merc has been running like a champ! Fast, strong and reliable. <br />Only things I have had trouble with are couple of tiny leaks around the spark plugs from the water jacket, new water pump, and the starter bendix sticking a couple times, all easliy fixable, with a review of these good forums.

will these motors run rough,shake hardly idle and smoke if the carbs are out of adjustment,meaning the low rpm screw in the front of the carb?? :confused:

Clams Canino

Commander

How well it idles depends on how well those points are set up on the 90 / 60 issue and THEN the carbs, syncronization etc.<br /><br />But yes those screws are in the mix very much so.<br /><br />Properly set up it outta idle fine. It will smoke a bit at idle with the 50/1 premix. It will also smoke more on cold start as a rule.<br /><br />-W

Hay ,i am back.I cant seem to get this thing to idle smooth,it sounds like it is not running on all cylinders all the time cause it is jumping up and down rapidly like a heavily cammed v-8 engine.I have been adjusting the carbs while it is idleing and have come very close to a smooth idle but then seems to fall flat on her face and stall.I have had a timing light on every plug and they fire constantly with no hesitation.Does this sound like a problem anybody out there has run in to??? :confused:

Clams Canino

Commander

Did you do the 90/60 check on the points yet?<br /><br />-W

Clams Canino

Commander

Those motors made Mercury what it is today. They are a great piece of engineering.<br /><br />-W<br /><br />
Originally posted by mom987mercury:<br />hey,im back i just had to ask what you guys thought of these motors,Reliabilty and performance.I know this one is amazingly quiet,hard to believe it is a two stroke.. :D

Hey clams,I might sound like an idiot here but i dont know what you mean by 60/90 check.I dont know much about the points except that they fire when the open.I have built a few automotive engines but never had to mess with any points systems.How easy is it to mess it up?and if i do will it cost me dearly for a professional to fix what i have done.(i have not tuched them yet).Thanx Clams...

Hey clams,I might sound like an idiot here but i dont know what you mean by 60/90 check.I dont know much about the points except that they fire when the open.I have built a few automotive engines but never had to mess with any points systems.How easy is it to mess it up?and if i do will it cost me dearly for a professional to fix what i have done.(i have not tuched them yet).Thanx Clams...

Clams Canino

Commander

You need to set one set of points for 90 degrees dwell (closure) then set the second set to open EXACTLY 60 degrees after the 1st set does.<br /><br />That 60 is important because each set fires three cylinders. So if they are off, the timing is always fluttery.<br /><br />-W

NEECAPRS

Petty Officer 2nd Class

MOM: As long as you don't break the point sets you won't do any permanent damage. They need to be in good shape(clean contacts)to work well. If you have real talent, you can clean them up with extremely fine DREMEL tips. Alternatively, new ones are running around $50-$55 per set.

I tried to use the dwell & synchronizing plate but the slots around the outside of the center hole do not line up on the rotor button.Acording to my rotor button they should be slid around the center hole closer together in the back.I dont know if you understand but that is it.I have sized the plate perfectly to fit...Is there another type of plate to use for different years??..

Clams Canino

Commander

To use that plate you need to remove the lower 1/2 of the distributor via the four bolts. Did you do that?<br /><br />-W

Yes,i removed everything to expose the points but then i am assuming the rotor button goes back on for the position refference and the plate goes on the rotor.Is this correct?

Clams Canino

Commander

No,<br /><br />You then remove the 4 bolts that hold the points assembly to the distributor stalk. then the plate goes on the BACK of that unit.<br /><br />Then you make a pointer out of a big paper-clip and attach it FIRMLY where the rotor went.<br /><br />-W

There is two fireing points sticking ouy on my rotor button,does this mean using two paperclips??