Wiring the temp alarm.

JoeW

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Can someone tell me how my temp. alarm should be wired? The black wire on the alarm is connected to a tan wire with a blue stripe which goes to the engine (1988 100 hp o/b). Where does the other wire go? (the red one).<br />Thanks

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Re: Wiring the temp alarm.

Ground or Power for the backlight. You need one wire for ground and one to the sender. The red is normally to the backlight, unless the wiring is haywire..

JoeW

RB,<br />What backlight? This isn't the temp gauge, it's the little audible alarm that sounds when the engine overheats. <br />Thanks<br />-Joe

Elmer Fudge

Lieutenant Commander

Hey joe, I'm under the assumption that you talking about the warning horn,if that is so then the black wire that comes off of the temp sensor connects to the tan wire at the terminal block.<br />The tan wire then leads to the warning horn.<br />The the warning horn is connected to the ignition via a purple wire, the red wire from the ignition leads all the way back to the battery.<br />I hope that's the info which you're in search of :)

JoeW

Elmer,<br />Yes, we're talking about the same subject. I think I understand. The only thing I don't understand then is what connects to the temp guage. I thought the tan wire connected to the temp guage. Do they both use the same sensor wire? <br />Thanks<br />-Joe

Elmer Fudge

Lieutenant Commander

I'm not sure as to what type of temp guage you are using,on my boat the red wire on the temp guage goes to power and the black wire connects up with the tan wire that leads back to the sensor.<br />I'm sure thats what RB meant in his post.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Yes it is Elmer. Sorry for the confusion.. Thanks...

Elmer Fudge

Lieutenant Commander

hi banski, being posted on this section of the forum,i would say it's a merc.

JoeW

Okay, just to make sure I've got this straight. Basically, the tan wire connects to both the temp gauge and the warning horn. Is this correct? <br />Yes, it's a 100 hp Merc outboard (1988). My harness has both a tan wire and a tan wire with a blue stripe on it. Does this make sense?<br />Thanks again for your help on this. I've been working on rewiring this hull for the last couple of weeks now. This is the last circuit I need to complete for the job to be done.

Hooty

Rear Admiral

Hold everthang! The tan wire with the blue stripe goes to the warning horn. The solid tan wire goes to the temp gauge.<br /><br />c/6<br />Hooty

JoeW

Thanks Hooty! I'll give it a try.<br />-Joe