mercury 200hp EFI 1996 wont stay running

dj_kev

Cadet
Having major problems with this motor. Sat for about 1.5 years but did have fuel stabilizer and such prior to storage. Boat ran with muffs for about 10 seconds quit fired up again then backfired. Nothing after that at all. Drained fuel tank and replaced primer bulb replaced fuel filter and tried my best to drain all old fuel out of motor. Still nothing replaced plugs they needed it. Still nothing thought maybe my kill switch went bad metered it out and is good. Finally some luck drained the fuel from the fuel pump area and flused it a couple of times. Engine fired and ran for a a few seconds. will not fire every time only once and a while. Tried using some wd40 for a starting fluid. nothing really seems to help. Also the beeper at the key doesnt sound the 3 beeps anymore could that be it???? Finally after completely draing my new starting battery i gave up for today. Also checked the voltage at the fuel pump seems ok.

gss036

Commander
Re: mercury 200hp EFI 1996 wont stay running

DJ, I am not a mechanic, but just went through an electrical problem on my carbed 200 Merc. The first thing the mechanic checked was the stator(?) that checked ok, seems that is a major problem when motors set too long, he then pulled the wiring harness plug apart and found that the plug had shorted across the pins inside the plug,and burnt the pins, might want to check that. This inside the cowling and was in a bracket below the starter.

dj_kev

Cadet

Thanks Gary. I checked the plug you are referring to and all is well there!<br /><br />Kevin

gss036

Commander

Ok, the 3 beeps come from the sensor alarms, they are controlled by the lt brown/tan wire. One is solid and the other has a blue stripe. One goes to the beeper, the other to a temp guage if you have one. Should lead to the pick-ups on the head, might want to check to see if you have a completed circuit, maybe apply pwoer w/key on the see if you get a beep. Other than that, can't help w/anything else.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

Hello<br /> you will need a High pressure fuel pump tester to check the fuel rail pressure. your engine has a vapor seperator drain. drain the seperator and see what comes out. it could be the needle valve is stuck shut. if you were able to test voltage on the pump then you should be able to dissconnect it and manually jumper the pump positve and negative terminals to test if the pump is stuck. sometimes the high pressur pump will stick. can you hear the pump whine for about 5 sec when you turn the ignition swith to ON.?<br />if the High pressure pump cannot get fuel from the vapor seperator or the pump is not working it wont do much of anything. try spraying a bit of premix fuel into each air valve and if she fires then you will know it is fuel.<br />Good luck and keep posting :)

dj_kev

Cadet

Thankds Rod<br /><br />I can hear at the pump it clicking on and off when i put my meter on it there is a very quick fluctuation to about .5 volts dc almost cant see the reading is that normal. Also when i shoot fuel directly into the air intakes she fires and runs for a few sec prob until the fuel i sprayed in is gone. I did drain the fuel at the fuel rail wasnt super dirty there not sure how difficult it is to remove the cover there to get to the pump.<br /><br />Kev