1970 650 Tbolt Pulling my motor apart tomorrow and got some questions about gask

chewbacca

Cadet
Basically Im going to do 3 major steps<br /><br />1. Remove the block from the shaft..... There is a gasket in the middle<br /><br />2. Remove the cover over the spark plugs (i believe its the powerhead cover and water circulates and cools in there too) (i can see a thin white gasketin between)<br /><br />3. Remove the big water jacket on the left side (there is a thin gasket)<br /><br />someone out of these 3 seals there is water leaking into my block. Possible it is because of corrosion and im wondering<br /><br />What happens if i can't get the gaskets because they don't make them anymore.. Will i have to create my own out of the Toothpaste style squeeze packets of silicone instant gasket (handles 260 deg celcius) and screw the motor back together<br /><br />What if i have corrosion eaten away either at the block or at the covers will i have fill the grooves of corrosion with the instant gasket stuff or will i need to do more?<br /> <br />Basically it seems to me from observation that the water is leaking from the bottom of the powerheads cover. Like if there ewre no gasket there.. But didn't these motors have no gaskets?<br /><br />Thanks guys

The Marine Doctor

Commander
Re: 1970 650 Tbolt Pulling my motor apart tomorrow and got some questions about

I would assume the gaskets are still available. You did not post a serial number so I had to guess at your engine. If you post your serial number I can tell you what is avail.<br /><br />Sealer will not work.<br /><br />TMD

chewbacca

Cadet

unfortunately my serial number is different because its from Australia and i have posted it before with no success<br /><br />all i know is it is a 1967-1971 650 red band thunderbolt :)

The Marine Doctor

Commander

I will have a look when I get back to my comp. I am pretty sure they are still avail.<br /><br />TMD

werdna

Seaman

chewbacca, let me know how you go - im in Perth and have one that ive gotta do the same thing too ina bout 7 weeks time (after TEE). how much was the gasket set just out of interest, and how bad was the corrosion?<br />Cheers<br />Andrew

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

I'm betting you can get what you need here.<br /><br /> web page

The Marine Doctor

Commander

The gaskets are available.<br /><br />TMD

chewbacca

Cadet

Well I have gotten the gaskets<br /><br />But one problem.. As i was trying to remove the bolts from my powerhead<br /><br />So i can take the cover off<br /><br />One of them snapped but its not screwed into the block like if there were grooves in the block.. It is a nut and bolt combo .. at the back is a nut and at the front is a bolt<br /><br />I basically snapped the head off.. But using common sense shouldnt the bolt go through the block and powerhead cover and come out the back so i can cut it off. There is no thread anwhere .. the only thread is on the net at the back<br /><br />What would be you technique to remove the broken bolt.. I have about 3-4mm clearence at the back so i will be able to cut the bolt off piece by piece with a dremel :D but the thing is i can't get the bolt to push out the back because its so frozen<br /><br />Is the best bet for me to just keep heating with the hand helt butane torch plumbers use then spray the anti rust stuff... and then try tap it out the back with a screwdriver.. Or will i have to drill it out?

chewbacca

Cadet

and in reply to you werdna<br /><br />bascically i have no corrosion.. Between the shaft/block anyway.. All it was the gasket wasn't seated properly and basically because someone else converted this short shaft block to long shaft.. the bolts embedded in the block where to short at the powerhead sides of the motor to even allow bolts to latch onto them so the block sits evenly on the shaft..<br /><br />I will have to extend them some how any ideas?

The Marine Doctor

Commander

Your best bet is to drill it out.<br /><br />TMD

chewbacca

Cadet

So just nailpunch it in the middle and drill it out with a drill bit thats small than increase in size until the bolt is out?<br /><br />Just using this metabo i got which has adjustable rpm?<br /><br />Also will i need special drill bits?

y2j

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Guess what.. even with the smallest crappiest wrench even with heaps of heat i seem to have turned all the bolts the tinyest bit at the head so there all weakened and there all gonna snap so i rather just drill them all out with a perfect centre lining up all the corners on the hex nut then nailpunch then slow drill<br /><br />Should i just use a small drill to get through the centre than a big one? And do i need special drills or will the normal metal ones be fine and just sharpen them when they get crap?

jim dozier

Lieutenant Commander

Do a search on these forums for broken bolts. There are many good discussions here. Special drill bits aren't usually required but they should be sharp or new. Start small and work your way up so you can stay centered. Use a cutting oil. I've found a carbide tile cutter in a Dremel is useful for re-centering wandering holes, and also for the last little bit of removing the residual bolt pieces and threads.

y2j

Petty Officer 3rd Class

looks good :)

werdna

Seaman

thanks for the reply chewbacca. good news about the corrosion. my problem is actually the water jacket, which i think has some quite bad corrosion. I must say i am just slightly worried about its condition! With reference to a cutting fluid for when you drill the bolts out (that would be my recommendation) i would use a product called Trefolex, made by Atkins Carlyle. Im not sure if you can get it over east, as its made over here, in Malaga from memory. Another trick ive heard is that you could soak the bolt in vinegar overnight. I did that with an old OMC Auxillary bracket that had steel bolts in it (this is a marine product made by a marine company, using cast ally, and then they go and put steel bolts in it???) and they came out a breeze. if that works they congrats, otherwise, i would drill them out. Cheerio<br />Andrew

y2j

Petty Officer 3rd Class

drilled em all out half way<br /><br />Got the water jacket cover off<br /><br />Still have half way to go<br /><br />Easy job just takes a ****load of time and energy and drill bits.. unless you can sharpen em alrite<br /><br />Theres a good 2-3mm buildup of corrosion all over the water jackets inside which i will tap off. <br /><br />If the corrosion has eaten out through the gasketed sides of your water jacket area.. You should just take off the water jacket cover.. Get a new gasket plus ALL NEW BOLTS. Plus put some instant gasket all around on both sides including the felt gasket as this will fill the corrosion ;) The instant gasket is also known as RTV and withstands up to 260☺<br /><br />Good luck and if u need more help just ask :)