MERCURY 150 OIL INJECTION PROBLEM ???

CBLACK2925

Recruit
I HAVE RECENTLY PURCHASED A 1991 MODEL MERCURY BLACK MAX 150HP OUTBOARD WITH OIL INJECTION. THE MOTOR RUNS GREAT AND CRANKS GREAT, BUT I HAVE NOTICED A FILM OF OIL INSIDE THE ENGINE COWLING. (THAT PART BELOW THE POWERHEAD AND CARURATORS) I HAVE WIPED IT OFF, BUT WHENEVER I USE IT, IT COMES RIGHT BACK. COULD THERE BE SOMETHING WRONG WITH MY OIL INJECTION SYSTEM?? I'VE NEVER HAD OIL INJECTION ON A MOTOR BEFORE.

The Marine Doctor

Commander
Re: MERCURY 150 OIL INJECTION PROBLEM ???

Check the small bleeder lines...they are roughly 3/16 in Diameter...one could have cracked.<br /><br />Also check the air box..down in the left or right corner..there should be a hose hooked up to it. This should run into the crankcase to absorb fuel that has run out of the carbs.<br /><br />TMD

CBLACK2925

Recruit

THANK YOU FOR YOUR REPLY.<br />I'LL CHECK OUT THOSE POSSIBILITIES TODAY

gss036

Commander

Check the cap on the onboard oil tank. They have a tendancy to crack right at the top of the inside threads and it will cause oil to get everywhere. New cap runs about $40.00 because of the built in sensor for low oil. I have an 89 200 and had to buy 2 so far. The tank will keep oil as long as you have oil in the external tank becaue of the pressure build up from the engine.