help with my 75 150 hp merc

ZOORODEO

Recruit
i have a 75 or so 150 hp merc outboard. it will start up fine and idle fine. i can even rev the motor up when it is not in gear. when i put it in gear and try to give it some gas is just spits and sputters.

Kenny Bush

Chief Petty Officer
Re: help with my 75 150 hp merc

I would get yourself a manual and check your timing and synchronization. I am assuming you are getting fuel and spark to cylinders.

ZmOz

Captain

I had a similar problem with the same engine. I ran some seafoam through the engine and it fixed it. Do a search here for seafoam. Also, I was told to rebuild the fuel pump ($4 kit) and did, but it didn't help anything. It might help for you...

greasemonkeyozi

Petty Officer 1st Class

ZMOZ is right, do the easy stuff first.<br /> Sea foam works wonders, and you can buy that stuff at any NAPA store. Make sure to get the arasol can.<br /> Remove your spark plugs and spray a good amount in each cylinder. Let set for a couple of hours or over night. Start your motor and then spray some in your carborator, or carborators. Then watch all kinds of nasty stuff blow out your exaust. Use 1/2 can per 3 tanks of fuel to keep your motor all kinds of clean.<br /> Tune up in a can baby :cool: ;) :p :)