No Spark

I am working on a 1977 merc 115 inline and having problems with spark. When I turn the key there is no spark, but when I release it, it will spark once. Thanks for any suggestions.<br /><br />Brian

outboardjake

Seaman
Re: No Spark

Disconnect the black/yellow wire from the switchbox and test for spark. If there is spark the problem is in the harness or the switch. If there is still no spark the problem is on the outboard.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Disconnect the black wire with a yellow stripe on it, at the switchbox. If spoark returns, you have a problem with the mercury tilt switch,ignition switch, emergency kill lanyard switch, or the wire harness (black/yel wire shorting to ground).<br />If not, take the dist cap off, and see if you can rotate the rotor by hand. Don't force it, but if you can move it, it has stripped-out at the shaft, and the entire dist shaft assembly must be replaced.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

I owe ya a coke, Outboardjake. :D <br />Like the two outfielders goin after a fly ball, huh? :D

I do not have a black/ yellow wire on my box. I have a green that goes to the coil and a red and i believe white but no black/yellow. And i have replaced the coil, but that did not help.