Gas dripping out the carbs

wheelwright

Cadet
I have a 95 60hp Mariner 3cyl. 2 carbs.<br />after a few fast runs accross the lake when i slow down the gas just starts gushing out of one or both of the carbs from the bowl vents and the main jet paths, this loads up the motor then it pukes and dies, then i row. i put 2 inline fuel filters on it changed both needle and seats, changed three different gas tanks, adjusted the float level to sooo many different positions that i can do this with my eyes closed now. have checked the floats for bouyency. can i have too much fuel pressure from something that i'm overlooking? and this is pushing the needle and seats open? , the repair manual says the floats should be ajusted to 19/32 how critical is this adjustment and why would it be? or is there another path? Thanks

12Footer

Fleet Admiral
Re: Gas dripping out the carbs

Trim has a lot to do with it. Is the motor absolutely level underway, as compared to standing still?<br />I would have your needles cut-off the fuel a bit earlier, and that should do it. You can run a carb bowl a bit lower than spec with no ill effects, but a bit too full, and you get that symptom.<br />Did you soak the needles or seats in carb cleaner? If so, you may have desolved the rubber tipped needle,or the neoprene o-ring inside the needle venturi. That stuff werks great, but only on the metal parts. It desolves everything else.<br />Merc's 4 cylinder 50HP carbs are touchy like that too. I found it necessary to toss the little paper L-sqaure thingy for float adjustment (comes in the rebuild kit), in the trash can, and sight the float in by eye.

wheelwright

Cadet
Re: Gas dripping out the carbs

Semper Fi 12 Footer<br /><br />I have the bowls adjusted to start closing just as they start to rise of the bowl bottom. You are right about the trim angle though it seems to appear more when trimmed up. Gives me something to think about. Thanks