Live well - does it take on water from outside the boat?

Dualie

Seaman
At first I thought is was the rain we had the other night, due to my "live well" being half full on my CC.<br /><br />After I pumped out the water, I pulled the plug on the side and more water came rushing in.<br /><br />Is this live well system supposed to do this and should I assume that the plug should always be pushed in?<br /><br />New boat to me and new to boating, Any insight would be great! Thanks D.

RobG

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Live well - does it take on water from outside the boat?

Dualie,<br /><br />My alumacraft does the same thing, it is normal. The water comes in through one pump and exits through another. There are no trap doors to keep the water from coming in on the pump side. Keep the plug in if you don't want any minnows getting stuck, I had to help my brother flush his out from dried minnows before.<br /><br />Rob

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

I just modified my Alumacraft for the same reason. On my boat, the live well drain is below the water line at the back of the boat and unless the plug is in the live well before launching, you run around with half a tank of water. When its time to remove the fish, the tank will only drain to about half so chasing fish around the tank is a pain, especially when a pike or walleye doesn't want to be removed. I installed a live well pump at the back of the boat with the inlet fitting as close to the drain line level as possible. I then cut the drain line, installed a "T" fitting and connected one leg to the inlet on the new pump and the other to the existing drain in the transom. The outlet of the pump was plumbed upward and out the rear. I heated a brass 1/2 pipe plug and screwed it carefully into the existing transom live well drain. Water can now only get into the live well via the existing pump and aeration system. The existing overflow was left in tact and drains out the side. When its time to empty the tank, I flip the switch for the new pump and the tank empties in a minute or two. Slick setup. For winter, I will remove the brass plug to allow any trapped water to drain from the line and pump.

Braxton

Chief Petty Officer

mine does it also but i have a valve i open when i need water, but i also keep the plug in the livewell just incase. valves do go bad.