mercury electric start trouble

mercuryblues

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1966 mercury 650,65 hp,serial 1897689.I just replaced the control cables and went to try the motor out with the new cables attached and the electric start would not turn it over at all,it was if there was no power.I took the control box apart,(its a mercontrol if that matters,} and I have an ignition switch,a neutral safety switch,and an electric choke,and thats it but the cable hookups,where the wires,I believe there were 6,hooked to the ignition there were several that had broken insulation on wires and maybe that was my problem.Does anyone know how they would proceed with this,I called a merc dealer and was told that the switches mentioned above where not available he did not think.Any direction would be appreciated.Thanks all.

mercuryblues

Seaman Apprentice
Re: mercury electric start trouble

By the way the electric start worked before the new cables were put on

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

The wire problem is not unique to your old merc. It is the bane of Mercs of this vintage, and there is little one can do. Once the insulation has started to fail in one area, the entire harness can be expected to soon follow suit.<br />I have used a "3M (tm) Scotchcast #82-A power Cable Splice Kit", and the old plug, and new generic 7-conductor cable 12gauge minimum (i used two lengths of 12/4 water resistant power cable made my Carol company, "P-7K 123033 MSHA)", but samey-same.<br />You may luck-out and find a good one on ebay, but even the NOS harnesses (if you could actually find one), would be on the verge of loosing thier insulation.<br />The Scotchcast kit is somewhat pricey, but nothing werks better that I know of.<br />Of course, you could just hard-wire everything, if you have the skill and patience, and just elimminate the entire plug/socket do-hicky on the side.

mercuryblues

Seaman Apprentice

is there a way to test the ignition switch? I unhooked the neutral safety switch and connected the one wire that did go to and from the N/S switch and I still have no power,no click,nothing.<br />Its strange because it was working just fine.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

I would backtrack to the battery. This time of year, the terminals on batteries give us boaters untold grief,if we expose them to it.<br />Remove the terminals from the battery, and clean the inside of the terminal and the outside of the posts, shiny. ceck the battery for 12V also.<br />Re-assemnble, and try it.<br />also, your control has a feature that prevents you from starting it in gear. But it would not "click" if it were the culprit.

wolfbait

Recruit

my 65 mercury 650 3 cylinder will run good start and run several times then it nwont start no spark then next time maybe start maybe not. when it wont start no spark yet next time it will start and have spark .help its driving me and my mechanic crazy