What would be a cool color to paint my flywheel

John Reynolds

Petty Officer 1st Class
What would be a cool color to paint my flywheel (and other parts) on my 1956 Mercury Mark 55E that I'm restoring?

Hooty

Rear Admiral
Re: What would be a cool color to paint my flywheel

I've been asking myself the same question for two days. I'm thinking silver/gray. You want something that will look cool but still contrast with the timing arrow. <br />What's your thoughts?<br /><br />c/6<br /><br />Hooty

denniz

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I was thinking clear soooo ..you could see all the stuff moving inside of it!!! Like the back of a rolex...

Hooty

Rear Admiral

Hey Rod Knocking,<br />Where ya been? Haven't heard from ya for a while.<br /><br />c/6<br /><br />Hooty

denniz

Hey HOOTIE, Ive been working... its summertime. And everbody wants there boat yesterday, If not sooner. Oh well gotta make a living. Did you go to the antique outboard swap meet in Grapevine?

Hooty

Rear Admiral

Don' know about fish bitin'. I've been working on my old rag trying to get it ready for summer. Got a new Detwiler jackplate coming and I'm almost finished with a 235 I've been building. Gonna blow 'um all off the lake this summer.<br /><br />c/6<br /><br />Hooty

John Reynolds

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hooty, I was sort of thinking about chrome or aluminum paint. Or maybe it should be red? The original color of the cowl of the 1956 mark 55E was "sunset orange".

denniz

Im sorry John I didnt mean to stray off the subject.Most of the old mercs I work on have a red/ orange flywheel. How bout Black?? Thatd look good. Hooty have fun with that 235.

Paul Moir

Admiral

How about this stuff? I've been thinking about using the blue for parts of a cowling myself. Red might be nice.

Hooty

Rear Admiral

Hey Paul,<br />I saw that at NAPA the other day. Maybe I'll go back and look again. Thanks<br /><br />c/6<br /><br />Hooty

John Reynolds

Petty Officer 1st Class

Paul Moir,<br />I might have to give this stuff a try. So it's made by Dupli-color, eh? NAPA carries it? I think that AutoZone carries Dupli-color stuff don't they? And this Metalcast is heat resistant, to boot.

Hooty

Rear Admiral

I'm gonna have a look at that Metalcast yellow. May do my carbs with that.<br /><br />c/6<br /><br />Hooty

JRJ

Commander

Pink...yes defenantly pink. Now, who's on first?<br />can't spell's in right field..sorry, just :D

John Reynolds

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hooty, I never considered painting my carbs, until I read your post. Is this dupli-color line oil and gas resistant?

John Reynolds

Petty Officer 1st Class

OK, on Dupli-color's website it said about <etalcast paint: ". . .METALCAST™ has been formulated to resist intermittent heat up to 500 degrees F, as well as resistance to oil, gas, scuffing, chipping and fading."

John Reynolds

Petty Officer 1st Class

JRJ-<br />Please send me pictures of your pink flywheel, I'd love to see 'em.

Paul Moir

Admiral

Hmm, happend to be in a Canadian Tire today and saw chrome and *PURPLE* metalcast. It wasn't there two weeks ago, nor is it on their website...

John Reynolds

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hooty, according to Duplicolor's website, if you wanted to paint your carbs with metalcast, then you would have scuff them up real good, then apply CP-199 Adhesion Promoter directly over scuffed surfaces; or apply etching primer, the METALCAST Groundcoat, then the METALCAST.

denniz

POWDERCOAT IT!!!!

Hooty

Rear Admiral

When ya powder coat, ya gotta bake it in the oven. Ever since I baked some brake linings in my bride's oven, she gets all wild-eyed ever time I turn the thing on. <br /><br />c/6<br /><br />Hooty