Mercury nosecone lower unit

eula30

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi, I have a Mercury 200hp with a nosecone lower unit. The seller told me that I have to buy a LH propeller. He told me that the nosecone lower unit is a LH lower unit. Now my question is: Can this motor be used by it self or it will have to be used in pair with a RH motor? Any advice I will really appreciated. I’m going to buy a hull for it, but I will really would like to know if I can use the motor by itself. Also what is the different between a nosecone lower unit and the regular lower unit? I only want a fishing boat but I was told that the nosecone is a racing lower unit it’s that true? Any advice I will really appreciated<br />Thank you

Hooty

Rear Admiral
Re: Mercury nosecone lower unit

The engine will operate fine by itself provided you use a l/h prop. As long as you are just using the engine as a fishing engine, the nosecone shouldn't be a problem either.<br /><br />c/6<br /><br />Hooty

eula30

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thank's hooty.<br />any advice on what type of hull should I buy for this motor. Is there any 19 or 20 footer that will hold this motor?<br />Thank you

Hooty

Rear Admiral

Check the "Max. Engine Horespower Rating" plate on the boat. All boats are suppose to have one. I would get a boat as close to the 200hp. rating as I could. You'll be happier operating at the boats maximum horsepower rather then the minimum.<br /><br />c/6<br /><br />Hooty

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

If its a true racing unit from Merc you may have to stick with a certian type prop. Does the exhaust still come out around the propshaft?<br /><br />If it has a low water pick up you will have to be careful in shallow water too. You can suck up a bumch of sand pretty quickly.<br /><br />Good luck!

eula30

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi, how can I found out if is a true racing unit? Just because is a nosecone unit doesn’t mean it is a racing unit right? Or all nosecone lower units are racing lower units? Yes the exhaust comes out around the propshaft. <br />Thank’s

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Good. You can use standard left hand props. It may be something like a Sportmaster but its hard to tell without seeing it. It may be a standard case with a nosecone added. Anyway whatever boat you buy you may be ahead of the game especially if you get a pad bottom hull. <br /><br />Good luck!

eula30

Petty Officer 1st Class

would I need the motor serial number to buy a propeller for it? there is no serial number on the lower unit.<br />Thank you