1973 80hp mercury any good?

was thinking of buying one and was wondering is there any thing I should look for and what should the compression test read etc.etc.

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral
Re: 1973 80hp mercury any good?

a lot really depends on how she has been taken care of over the years... you could do a lot worse IMHO. compression around 100, will all cyliders with 5 of each other would be good.<br />water test if you can.<br />good luck,<br />M.Y.<br />'70 1150 merc.

Thanks M Y.I take it that you mean 100psi per pot with a difference of no more that 5psi between them and is this a cold compresion test<br />cheers fisher<br />ps got three months warranty with her

rons boat

Petty Officer 1st Class

Most older mecury engines (and others) have a wiring harness and stator problem unless replaced recently. I still own mid 80s and newer and they too have to be replaced. The wire "melts" in your hands. Why they didn't use space age teflon wire, who knows? Something about even fresh water and deterioration of the stuff they used. The 80s mercs got rid of the distributor and are easier to maintain and they work a lot better and insulation is some better on the harness. Since any engine over 10 yrs are are old now the price difference of the 80s vs 70s motor should not be a factor. A lot of 80s and even 90s engines are now being removed from servide. I had a 78 model Merc(85hp) which was one of merc's first with the new ignition and it was a good engine but I still had to replace the electronics.