59 50hp merc throttle control not getting rpm

splash

Recruit
I have a 68 14' fiberform boat with the 59 merc 50hp super thunderbolt and a newer mercontrol throttle box and at full forward on both levers not getting full power without pushing the cable on the engine.Not getting the throws i need.

Kenny Bush

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 59 50hp merc throttle control not getting rpm

I thought those motors had the old kickaufer(spelled wrong) shifters that had neutral position in the middle(There is no neutral;lower unit is direct drive). For reverse, you stop the engine, and start it backwards. This process is a ***** for cold weather starts, but I actually liked mine and had no problems with two different ones I had. It has idiot lights that show engine rotation direction. I think you are going to have to find one of these old green shifters.

Yepblaze

Lieutenant Commander

Perhaps you will have to lose the newer style control box and find the old dual lever with that type cable setup. They can be found at Ebay.com from time to time. <br /><br />Maybe you can find an answer at John's old Mercury outboard messageboard.<br /><br /> http://www.pfs-ware.com/kwast/mercboard/index.htm

9milewizz

Recruit

Splash. Yepblaze probably has the right idea. If that don't work get a tinkybuttbudman to sit at the rear of da boat and be your throttleman. Tie a string to his Bud holder. One pull means more throttle, two pulls means less throttle. May you have many good days of boating. 9milewizz